Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As I was doing my carbs Over I purchased a slide ruler to measure the floats. I measured to what I knew was 7.5 mm. The problem is this ruler isnt metric and the reading i actually got where 7.5/32nds of an inch

7.5/ 32nds = .24 of an inch in decimals

so I looked at a conversion chart and this is what I found

7.5 mm = .295 of an inch =9/32nds of an inch 0r 19/64ths
The Pink line is where I set the floats and this is where they should be. Can this small measurement really give mepoor gas milage. I was running 38 mpg before clenaing my carbs. (*all slow jets were clogged) setting the pilot screws to factory and setting the floats to the pink line. Now I get 25 mpg. Will setting them to the Teal line really improve my gas milage or can there be something else wrong

Attachments

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

On my old Bandit, I chased the carb settings for two years convinced that the floats were right. When I finally figured out how to get an accurate measurement, they were off by a couple of millimeters. It made a big difference in throttle response and had a small affect on mpg. I think it was worth the trouble but I have never tried to fuss with Goldwing carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Muaymendez1,

Can't you ditch the imperial ruler and use a metric one? It will save the headache of all the math.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

All Hail the Imperial Ruler!!!!! oops wrong post, sorry.,,

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
All Hail the Imperial Ruler!!!!! oops wrong post, sorry.,,
HE'S ONE OF THEM!!!!......

... GET"EM BOYS!!!!

:action:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I do have a metric ruler but the directions in the manual are upside down. I cant make heads or knickers out of them.

Then having to deal with all those storm troopers and a wookie breathing on my back. Its no fun, I tell ya..

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I got Igot it,After remeasuring and setting the floats the bike is running great. A tad less high end power than when rich but higher low end tourque. She wen t from 25mpg to 41mpg.
i still have the backifiring on decel and the aircutoff diapraghm was inspected. I thinik it may be teh use of the aftermarket roadking pipes with no cross over tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.