Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Select "Neutral" to install the front engine cover! This I remembered when I replaced the water pump, BUT it certainly helps to have the damn gear change lever facing the right bloody way! Just spent the last 3 days at work trying to work out what I had done wrong on the reassembly of the engine one of the guys at work as a joke just said "you've probably got the lever on wrong" D'oh!

:lash:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

If anyones interested in what I have had done and what I found wrong with the engine I've lots of pics before and after and would be happy to post

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

AUwing wrote:
If anyones interested in what I have had done and what I found wrong with the engine I've lots of pics before and after and would be happy to post
Do you need to ask?
Most of us doesn't read that well but we do love pictures.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

No problems. The last time I did anything to an engine I cant remember I'm not a mechanic but I do have a good mechanical aptitude and I'm so looking forward to getting this bike back on the road. The bike is an 84 Asp imported from Canada two owners ago and has a total of 84k miles. Anyhow it started smoking real bad and I thought I'd take a look at the Heads - great place to start reconditioning sent them away to get overhauled, get them back, put the on and she's still smoking - time for a complete engine o/haul!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

And another looking at the front - about now it was starting to sink in! What the &*%^%^#$ have I done and do I really want to go ahead with it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

This is the left side of the engine with the Head removed - Yes the head was reconditioned and refaced the block side was cleaned (Not refaced) looking hear you can see the leakage (Head gasket seperation) also on the block evidence of both oil and coolant leakage - no wonder the poor thing was smoking so bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Arrrrr the clutch slave cyclinder is the problem - sorry for the focus! looks like I'll need a repar kit! lololol

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

You over wrote your first picture but no matter keep them coming.:claps:

You say the bike was imported from Canada but from the pictures it was originally sold in the USA. Canadian models did not have the "slow air" port beside the intake manifolds.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Wow no wonder the stator stopped working! Notice how the oil has started to attack the stator insulation - Hope it has'nt got into the engine!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The two sides of the engine are held together by 16 bolts remove them and slide the left side up and away!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The two sides of the engine are held together by 16 bolts remove them and slide the left side up and away!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

This is the right side after the head was removed - not looking good at all - I'm not at all confident about this job

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Not sure about pre Canada just thankful it has Klm's built in to the speedo

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Re the Stator! I hav'nt used it for five years - Put an external alternator on. I was wondering whether or not to remove the old stator - guess the picture has decisded that! Here's what the external alternator looks like and its position - PS never had a problem with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Anyhow got the whole thing stripped down and both halves (left and right side) went down to the engine rebuilders for measuring up and........

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.