Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently bought an 84 GL1200A. The good news is that it only has 36K miles on it - the bad news is that it only has 36K miles on it! Obviously, it spent a lot of time sitting, in who knows what condition.

After a few hundred miles the fuel filter clogged & I had to replace it. When I checked into it I saw rust particles - crap! I imagine a lot of that sitting time was with the tank less than full.

I would really rather not replace the tank. If I get a new one it's over $700; if I find a salvaged one I'm just rolling the dice - it might be just as bad or worse. I know I could go the acid / coating route, but my mechanic friend says he's never had good luck with it - it'll start flaking eventually, so I'd just have different crap clogging the filter.

I also would like to avoid removing the tank, given what a pain that is. I thought about just doing the acid, with the tank still in the bike, and skipping the coating. I know there's problems with that: I might end up with pinhole leaks; I'd need a pump to completely drain the acid; and I'd risk leaving some water inside. But it might work, and if not then I know I have to remove the tank and do one of the options above.

So, after all that - has anyone figured out a way to remove, or at least reduce, the rust without pulling the tank?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks - Bike...and Dennis.

Guess I was lazy - I did a search or 2 but I'll keep whacking away at it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I just think you will find more answers, quicker, that way. That 'forum search' tool has answered a lot of questions for me.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

if it's not too far gone then 8 gallons of vinegar, 1 box of baking soda, 24hrs and some rinse water. usually good as new.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Heres how i did mine on the bike.

Jim

My Gallery

This is the excellent post on cleaning a tank with electrolysis

Derusting Tank by Electrolysis
Posted: Wednesday Dec 29th, 2010 13:54
by rideandslidejim

many thanks Jim for a super post....

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/106276.html

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I am always able to completely drain my tank ( of water or gas or vineger) by connecting a length of hose to the out put of the tank ( selector valve), set it to reserve and start a siphon. I always get it all. I also have a tank drain near the bottem behind the right side cover, although I have never been gutsy enough to remove it. ( It might not go back so good on a 35 year old bike.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I used my shop vac with a rigged up pickup tool to suck out the soda/water mix and the left over crud.After i used a heat gun to dry it out.Add the gas back quickly before it starts rusting.

Jim

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks all - I appreciate all the info. I did find several threads here that had tons of detail on the electrolysis.

Scott, thanks for the idea of the vinegar - that's definitely a simple way. I'll give that a shot, and if that's not enough then I can make some hydrogen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.