Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 85 Aspencade Gl1200 with 115K miles- Bike runs great but late a weird problem has been rearing its ugly head. When I run the bike hard - 70MPH and above - or when I climb a major grade (6% for 10 miles which is in my area) all of a sudden I start losing power and the engine starts bogging out. Its all I can do to keep it at 55mph at that point. After I stop and let it rest for a tad it runs fine again. My suspicion is electrical - namely the ECU since it "fixes itself" when left to rest. Any advise from those in the know?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

If you are getting the occasional backfire or popping sound as well as the power loss then its likely dud pulse coils. Be glad yours is an 85 as the 84 needed engine pulling to get at the coils. No popping or backfiring suggests the ECU is on the way out.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Try inspecting the vacuum hose that runs from the carb to the ECU. I've seen more than a few go bad(they rot and leak) and cause the ECU to miss out on the vacuum signalneeded to operate properly.

Good luck, Vic

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

If it works fine after a rest then I doubt its fuel starvation. Electrical, ie pule coils or even ignition coil breaking down sounds more likely.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

There have been more than one or two of the members here with the same issue, including me.

Did you ever figure this one out???

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
If you are getting the occasional backfire or popping sound as well as the power loss then its likely dud pulse coils. Be glad yours is an 85 as the 84 needed engine pulling to get at the coils. No popping or backfiring suggests the ECU is on the way out.

Hi Jason, Idon't liketo correct you because your knowledge is typically top notch but need to set the record straight; an 84 Wing's pulse coils can be removed without taking the engine out. You just remove the back wheel and swingarm for access.

Vic

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hi, Planefella

Vacuum hoses, an/or pulse gen's. With 115k miles, and the age, I'd have a set of pulse generators ready to install. Your description perfectly describes pulsers. Cool down, go. Hot, won't re-start, or craps out while running. Those pul;se generators are running out of stock. I'd get at least one, while you can. Mother ain't gonna replenish them, when they dry up.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I just had to be the first to say:

WELCOME TO THE BEST FORUM ON THE NET!!!

This place has answers for almost any problem a Goldwing can encounter.

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
imported post

An answer has not been posted -- pulse gens not the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.