Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone...

I'm new to this forum and have found this to be a huge help in restoring my 1984 GL1200A I purchased last week.

The bike was stripped to naked by the previous owner and has no Gauges/Instruments. That's ok because I am doing a bobber build on it.

I am replacing the water pump (shaft to oil pump shattered) and before I put the engine cover back on, I want to test the neutral switch with a Multimeter to ensure correct position.

Does anyone know which pins to meter accross for continuity if the neutral switch is in the correct position?

Thanks...

Tom

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom
Try the black to ground, that is what the 82-83 1100 was on the standard and interstates were.
The rest are for the other gears as the 83-87 Aspencade showed which gear you're in on it's gauge panel and have the 5 wires. Ground will be green if there is on in that harness.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Another test is get the trans in neutral and line up the pin with the slot if you have moved it. This will need to be done before installation of the front cover to get it back in place.
Be sure and clean the switch with electrical contact cleaner while you have it open too.

I hope you got a Honda OEM pump and not a cheap saber cycles Chinese pump as their pumps tend to be short life span?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also be sure to use silicate free antifreeze. It must say it on the bottle or the bearings won't last. Many members use use the Peak 150,000 mile antifreeze and mix 50/50 with distilled water. Or get the Honda car antifreeze in the gallon jug, if you have a Honda car dealer local, it's a little cheaper than the qt price at the m/c dealer for 4 qts.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Dizzy is right. The Lg/R wire is for neutral. Here is a page from the service manual showing what the wires are for.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I give my apologies as I don't have the manual.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's What I needed! Thanks Guys.

Yes, I am installing an OEM Water Pump from CycleMax. Heeded the warning of others. Not a place where you want to save $20 and have to redo that job again anytime soon.

Thanks for the other info as well. I appreciate the help. Should have my new pump on today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW, was going to use Prestone 150K Extended life AntiFreeze. Silicate, Phosphate, Borate and Nitrite free (On The Bottle) Also states extended protection including aluminum.

Anyone have reservations about using Prestone or would that be safe for the new pump?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
That antifreeze should be just fine for your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.