Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The LCD Panel on my 84 GL1200A was not working when I purchased this bike. The previous owner hooked up the speedo cable to an analog type speedometer which is mounted on the left side where that leather pouch pocket is. Most of the LCD panel does indeed work, but not the speedometer, thus in order to indicate actual speed, an aftermarket speedo was hooked up.

I wish to rehookup the cable to the back of the LCD unit. My question is this

How to access the back of the dash??

Can the dash be removed WITHOUT removing the entire fairing??

Does the entire front fairing have to be removed??

Can I access through the hole that the forks come through??

thanks

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Speedbird,
The digital speedometer is driven by an electronic sending unit at the front wheel, with a wire going to the dash. Sounds like the sending was removed so the cable could be plugged into the front wheel. Do you have the electric wires tucked up under the fairing somewhere? It will need to have a little metal black box on the end of it with the prong that mates to the drive gear in the front wheel.
If you have the front wheel off, re-grease the spedo drive gears. As the old grease dries out, the gear will wear out.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks

My frend is telling me that the sending unit is missing. I will have to find one on ebay then. I thought that the speedo cable just screwed into the back of the dash. I guess not then.

thabnks

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Speedbird,
That's what you need. Some e-bay sellers split up the sending unit from the drive. You may not need the drive, since you have one on the bike now. (But, I'm not 100% sure! Someone may have swapped it too.)
If you bid on a drive, e-mail the seller and ask the condition of the gears. They do wear out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.