Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

just wondering if anyone has a way to check digital gauges on a gl1200A? speedometer to be exact.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

elwood wrote:
just wondering if anyone has a way to check digital gauges on a gl1200A? speedometer to be exact.
What do you wish to check or to be more exact what is the problem you're having?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

the gauge reads 0 i was wondering if there was way to make it move or something just to see if it is good. do you know how much voltage that goes to the wheel speed sensor? it says your volt meter should go from 0 t0 5 volts,mine goes from 0 to about 10/12 volts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

In your other thread, on this same subject, someone asked if your odometer was working, but I don't recall you giving an answer. Does the odo work?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

shows 0 mph

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

yes

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

elwood wrote:
Yes what?
Your odometer measures distance travelled in miles.
Your speedometer measures "You guessed it." travelling speed in miles per hour.
Is it one or both that aren't working?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
imported post

Elwood, we need answers. Most of us can't keep track of what's on our own mind, so we surely can't read somebody elses.

It seems, if the odometer is working and the speedo is not, that indicates the speedo is bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

the speedometer only has worked a couple of times since i have had and road the bike. took everything apart and cleaned it,put back together and it was working.road the bike down the road and it seemed to work. put in the garage and went back the next day and the speedometer wasnt working again. checked the speed sensor and it shows to be good.put a volt meter at the wiring harness in the front fairing and had the sane reading from the speed sensor there to. i am wondering if the gauge cluster could be bad? everything works on the gauges but the mph and mileage meter. i have took it apart twice and cleaned all the plugs connectors and sprayed them with contact cleaner. put back to gather and it worked,for awhile any way. seemed like when it did work to would jump up in speed when moving slow. hope this is better description what is going on with it thamks for any help.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the gear box on the front axle that drives the sensor?
It has a plastic drive gear and that often wears out.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Have you checked the gear box on the front axle that drives the sensor?
It has a plastic drive gear and that often wears out.
Ken
Isn't the cause of failure of the gear lack of lube, proper lube in the Speedo box?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

i have checked the gears in the front wheel and every thing is good. I checked the speed sensor it also checks good. I checked the volts from the speed sensor output all the way to the back of the gauges and have voltage there as well. is there anything in the wiring circuit that i should check or does it come out of the cluster to the sensor and then back to the cluster?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.