Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The 84 AspencadeI picked up recently is very sluggishat highway speeds. My last bike was an 80 FLT Tour Glidethat seemed like it hadmuch more power.Ihad the FLT in Ohio butlive in the mountains at 5000ft el. now. She seems to start fine every day, no hesitation. I'vejust started using the sea-foam (140 miles) and it has shown some improvement. It has 107,000 miles on her, but doesn't smoke any! The last tank of gas, I got 28 mpg in the mountains with my wife aboard.It doesn'tsound like it'smissing. I can be doing 65 in OD, and will have to d/s to 4th to keep any speed up going up any inclines. I can even lose speed going up inclines in 4th when I'm cruising at 55!!You'd think just cracking the throttle would be enough, but I can full throttle and lose speed. Is it the bike or am I expecting too much? I'll run a few more tanks of sea-foam mix through herandsee ifit helps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
224 Posts
imported post

Before you start making adjustments to the carb, check the simple things like condition of the air filter and fuel filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It has an aftermarket fuel pump and a clear fuel filter that looks good. It doesn't sound like it's starving in gas. It just has no power for a 1200. Air Cleaner is next on my list. After reading mpg posts, 28-30 is pretty bad. That would have been good on my FLT:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
imported post

check for brake drag, air filter, put the bike on center stand and try to spin the tire, front and rear. there is something wrong
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
imported post

you've already mentioned the main problem,5000ft and besides,gl's w/o downshifting just won't compare with an hd's torque etc
you might want to ride down the mountain sometime and see what you think about the bike then,carb sync might help a little but i really doubt it,wait for others with similar situations to chime in
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
332 Posts
imported post

sounds like you have no choice but to rebuild the carbs.
you should be able to cruise at 90 mph all day with no problems
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
imported post

I would say something doesn't sound right. Typically when I get in the mountains (6000 and above) my millage jumps to 44mpg or higher depending on the speeds, I don't think two up would make that big of a difference. Dropping to 4th should let that bike climb hills with no problem. Keep in mind that it like a little more RPM than a big twin does, but you should be able to pull about any mountain pass with rpm's around 3500 to 4000. If you are trying to pull a grade in OD at 50 to 55 mph you're going to have to down shift. But 4th should be able to handle it at that speed.
 

·
Vintage Rider
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
imported post

My first guess would be dirty carbs. That is the single most common problem with any motorcycle, and it is almost always caused by someone letting the carbs sit to long with gas in them. If Seafoam helped some, that is another indication of dirty carbs. I would pull the carbs, completely disassemble them, give them a thorough cleaning, and replace any broken worn out parts. Contrary to what I heard someone say, you cannot clean carbs with lemon juice, use spray carb cleaner, like Gumout or Berrymans.

Another thing to check, is to make sure you are actually getting plenty of gas to the carbs. Disconnect the fuel lines from the carbs, turn the engine over, and make sure plenty of gas is coming out.

While the GL1200 has a fairly large displacement engine (for it's day) it is not a hot rod. Any four cylinder 600cc sport bike will blow it off the road. The 1200cc engine is designed for carrying 2 people and a lot of luggage from coast to coast without overworking itself. It is not a speed demon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
802 Posts
imported post

I agree with most. Your 1200 is running too rich would be my guess. That would account for the poor mileage and performance at altitude. First thing to do is read the spark plugs. The ceramic insulator should have a nice tan color. White too lean. Black and carboned up too rich. Then check is the air filter. Don't be suprised if you find that fury woodland creatures have set up house in there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Replacing the fuel and air filters this week. I'll check the plugs while I'm at it. If the air filter is clogged, that would explain everything, lack of power and poor fuel economy. I'm hoping I don't have to rebuild the carbs. Air filter looks a bit easier to deal with :)
 

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
I would say something doesn't sound right. Typically when I get in the mountains (6000 and above) my millage jumps to 44mpg or higher depending on the speeds, I don't think two up would make that big of a difference. Dropping to 4th should let that bike climb hills with no problem. Keep in mind that it like a little more RPM than a big twin does, but you should be able to pull about any mountain pass with rpm's around 3500 to 4000. If you are trying to pull a grade in OD at 50 to 55 mph you're going to have to down shift. But 4th should be able to handle it at that speed.
I believe this gentleman might have about half your problem figured out! To get any performance out of a GL1200, 3000-4000rpm is the sweet spot when climbing hills and such, ( remember, the redline is 7400rpm!!). By no stretch of the imagination am I a carb expert, (mine's fuel injected), but before I rebuilt the carb's, I'd get a set of manometers, balance the carb's, and see if that helps!!



Good luck with her!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,148 Posts
imported post

I would also check the pressure from the aftermarket fuel pump, might be too high or low.




:12red::cool:
Dean
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Today, I found an air cleaner and a fuel filter for it. The old filter was a little fuzzy! I also changed plugs. The old plugs looked fine. A little worn, but wearing correctly. Air filter and plugs didn't make much of a difference, maybe a lttle. The fuel filter has me wondering. While installing the new in-line clear filter, I opened up the petcock of the tank and nothing came out(little over 1/2 tank of gas). I was able to blow bubbles backwards through the hose in the tank. I hooked up my compressor to the hose and blew air through it for a few seconds. A little gas trickles out of the hose, but very little. The filter is about 1/2 full when motor is not running and practically sucked dry when the motor is running. If I can blow bubbles through the hose, why isn't gas coming out the right way? This must be my real problem!! Do I need to clean the screen in the tank? What else could it be?
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

Look where the petcock is on your 1200. ½ way up the tank right? So it will not gravity feed like other motorcycles without more than a ½ tank of fuel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
imported post

i think i would pull the sending unit off the top of the tank and have a look just to satisfy yourself, its easy and dont take long
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Why is the filter being sucked dry? I have over a 1/2 tank of fuel. It seems to me that the filter should be full of fuel, not almost empty all the time. It looks to be about half full when it's not running. This has got to be the reason I have no power. Not enough gas reaching the carbs if I gun it! Shouldn't the filter be full of gas at all times? It's probably the screen clogged, even though I can blow air through it backwards. I take it I need to pull the sending unit to see the screen?
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
Why is the filter being sucked dry? I have over a 1/2 tank of fuel. It seems to me that the filter should be full of fuel, not almost empty all the time. It looks to be about half full when it's not running. This has got to be the reason I have no power. Not enough gas reaching the carbs if I gun it! Shouldn't the filter be full of gas at all times? It's probably the screen clogged, even though I can blow air through it backwards. I take it I need to pull the sending unit to see the screen?
This type of filter sitting on it's side will never fill up completely and if the fuel level actually goes down when running you have a vacuum leak in your fuel line.
 

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
RayJay1959 wrote:
Why is the filter being sucked dry? I have over a 1/2 tank of fuel. It seems to me that the filter should be full of fuel, not almost empty all the time. It looks to be about half full when it's not running. This has got to be the reason I have no power. Not enough gas reaching the carbs if I gun it! Shouldn't the filter be full of gas at all times? It's probably the screen clogged, even though I can blow air through it backwards. I take it I need to pull the sending unit to see the screen?
This type of filter sitting on it's side will never fill up completely and if the fuel level actually goes down when running you have a vacuum leak in your fuel line.
I gotta dissagree with ya here a bit Ken. If you had a vacumn leak anywhere between the fuel tank and the fuel pump you would also have a fuel leak... If he's not getting but a minimal amount of fuel out of the tank with the fuel line disconnected either the shutoff or the tank screen is plugged and the negative pressure created by the fuel pump is causing the air in the filter to expand so's you don't see any gasoline in the filter.



I'd remove the sending unit, siphon the gas, and go from there...
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
If he's not getting but a minimal amount of fuel out of the tank with the fuel line disconnected either the shutoff or the tank screen is plugged and the negative pressure created by the fuel pump is causing the air in the filter to expand so's you don't see any gasoline in the filter.
It must be one powerful pump you've got on that LTD Don.:shock:

Gasoline molecules are much larger than air molecules so yes you can have a vacuum leak without a fuel leak but my point was that looking at the fuel level in the filter has nothing to do do with how much fuel is flowing through it.

BTW: If the fuel level in the tank is below the petcock the only way the fuel will flow is from the siphon effect and if the end of the line is open to air the siphon will soon break.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I took a ride this evening and found a rode I could open it up a little on. I was doing about 80mph in OD and started losing speed going up a small hill. RPM's are definatley up there doing 80mph. There is gotta be something wrong with this bike. My guess is fuel delivery. I'm going to get a gas can tomorrow and pull the line off the carbs and see how fast the pump pumps a gallon or 2.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top