Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 1986 Honda Interstate - GL1200 with 80,000 miles. I am the original owner have have kept up all maintenance. The notorious alternator/stator problem was taken care of a long time ago and the weak connector near the battery is in good shape. The bike has always been garaged and covered. It has nowdeveloped what appears to be an electrical problem. When I turn the key, there is nothing - no dash lights, no warning lights, no voltage on the volt meter I installed and no voltage at the fuse box.

This problem came on several times, but seemed to go away when I pressed on connectors attached to the fuse box. This time it is not going away. I have made all the obvious checks - battery is good, fuses good, I see 12+ volts at the votage regulator, cleaned and re-inserted connectors where I could. After those steps I see about 2V at the fuse box with the ignition on.

Just before it died I was having trouble getting full revs. I don't know if that is related.

Anyway, what are the most likely suspects in the bikefor a sudden demise of all electrical power?

Thanks for any help

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

there is a 30 amp fuse, the main fuse located on the solenoid body, right side of the battery, check it. i am sure thats your problem as it is also another weak point and can be cured installing an inline blade type fuse holder.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I agree.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

The problem may be a bad ignition switch. My LTd had a similiar problem, turn the key and no running lights, but bike would crank and run. Traced problem to bad ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

I'd go with the ignition switch, (had one fail on the road)try to wiggle the key in the slot, if power returns then there's the problem.
Although this might not work if the switch contacts have failed completely so a bit of circuit tracing may be in order.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

It turns out that the problem WAS the main fuse. It had a hairline crack that tested OK with the low voltage/current from my little tester, but could not handle the full load needed to run. I had the work done at a local independant MC shop. They told me that, in addition, the wires leading to the fuse were corroded and fused. Apparently they had been deteriorating over a long period of time. They replaced the fuze and wiring with a '96 main fuze and box, as that is what they could get. Installation looks professional and it runs perfectly again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.:15red:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

wmjweber02 wrote:
I have a 1986 Honda Interstate - GL1200 with 80,000 miles. I am the original owner have have kept up all maintenance. The notorious alternator/stator problem was taken care of a long time ago and the weak connector near the battery is in good shape. The bike has always been garaged and covered. It has nowdeveloped what appears to be an electrical problem. When I turn the key, there is nothing - no dash lights, no warning lights, no voltage on the volt meter I installed and no voltage at the fuse box.

This problem came on several times, but seemed to go away when I pressed on connectors attached to the fuse box. This time it is not going away. I have made all the obvious checks - battery is good, fuses good, I see 12+ volts at the votage regulator, cleaned and re-inserted connectors where I could. After those steps I see about 2V at the fuse box with the ignition on.

Just before it died I was having trouble getting full revs. I don't know if that is related.

Anyway, what are the most likely suspects in the bikefor a sudden demise of all electrical power?

Thanks for any help

Bill
Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.