Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Is there a trick anybody has to get the drive shaft into the U-Joint? I struggled for over 2 hours last night before giving up. Is the shaft supposed to slip in or does the spring on the shaft hold it back?

:action: or :gunhead:

Gregg

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

It does just slip in. I always try to align the UJ into a central position before putting the shaft in. Once located on the UJ you will need to jiggle it a bit and rotate the shaft from the wheel end to align it for the eventual fit. Stick with it, it will go in.

Les

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem the first time I took mine out of my 1200. Just be patient, and keep poking. It will eventually just slip right in.:waving:

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Been there done that and bought the tee shirt. Hang in there be patient and try to visualize the u-jointas you install the shaft get the splines as close as possible before you insert it. That thing will go just be patient.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

Hang in there WB.

It's a tough one but it's do-able.

Don't lose your temper and roll the bike into a river. That just made things worse for me. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
imported post

Dont feel bad I had my drive shaft out today and I wont admit to how long it took to get it back in :D. Just incase anyone out there is as stupid as me make sure when you pull out the drive shaft you dont pull the ujoint so its just laying in the boot. It wont admit to how long that took to figure out either. :(Lets just say me and my bikespent alot of bonding time today.

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
imported post

motor22 wrote:
:(Lets just say me and my bikespent alot of bonding time today.
And you're a much better man for it...:D :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

hopefully you have replaced the seal on the saft where it enters the rear end, if you try and re-use the old one it will leak

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
imported post

hopefully you have replaced the seal on the saft where it enters the rear end, if you try and re-use the old one it will leak

Yes I installed a new seal and even remembered the molly60. she purrin now. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I just popped

the dust boot placed a long screw driver under the u joint and moved everything around went right in in about 5 minutes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.