Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All,

Well I started taking apart my 85 GL1200I project bike to see what that actual damage is. What I see is the main wiring harness is burnt. Looks like one of the hots, grounded out into the Clutch safety ( Green/red stripe), and the meltdown went from there. Looks like the harness rubbed raw against the frame and shorted, with the Clutch safety being the ground.
So I'm going to replace the main wiring harness, with all lights( factory and external) disconnect and see if I can fire her up.
The question, is the 84-87 main wiring harness for the GL1200I/A the same, not a SEI or LTD version. Some vendors are claiming they are, but since this part is no longer available I can't verify part No# on the Honda online parts breakdown.
Just a note, no fuses blew. None in the fuse panel, or the 7.5 and 20 under the left pocket, or the breaker fuse on the starter solenoid, which the connection was also melted.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
Try taking a look over at Bike Bandit.. They're showing some wiring harness's still available:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1985-honda-gl1200i-gold-wing-interstate/o/m2346#sch34981
Thanks , I checked there. They show "their" part No#'s but they still don't have it avail to order. They get their Honda OEM parts from Honda Distro and they don't have them either.
From researching, looks like the only possible difference is in the CDI connector on a 84 ..
Thanks for your info ..

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I have one of those baby's if you need one

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
I have one of those baby's if you need one
What are you asking for it ? Found one that matches on Flea Bay for under $20 total..But with used parts,your always taking a chance.

I finally got all the fairing off and was able to inspect the complete harness. It looks like the PO did some farkle wiring, I removed all non OEM wiring and will rewire to my spec's. I was able to trace the whole main wiring harness, looks like when it shorted ( more like a Hot main wire (RED) grounded , it took out solenoid, and fried the pulse generator wires. The alternator wires and connector are fine, but the x3 blades got blackened, so we'll see if it fried the stator, will know when I get it running. If the alternator is hosed, I may do a PoorBoy Conversion and be rid of it.

So as of now, I need a Pulse Generator, Main wiring harness, Solenoid..

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.