Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

GL1200I Rear tire Removal???

I have removed the left bag and right Bag... removed the break... Now I cannot remove the shock bolts as they are hitting the trailer hitch... I have tried to put some boards under the tire but it will not push up when I lower the bike... The trans is in netural, what am I doing wrong??? Or Missing???

Sorry this should be in Technicalll

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Let all of the air out of your shocks and then they will compress easier. :waving:

John

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Yes you will definitely need to remove the hitch, and anything else behind the wheel. I also removed both bags, even thought he manual said only the left one needed to be removed. But I was also removing the final drive gear and driveshaft. Mine had a little "loop" that connected the right and left side bag brackets, which also had to be removed.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Depends on the hitch. I never removed the hitch on my '86 when I changed the tire and have not needed to with the '84 I currently have either. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks fellas Now will a 84 wheel fit a 87????

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

grizly wrote:
Thanks fellas Now will a 84 wheel fit a 87????
I believe so, if you swap out the driven gear that meshes to the final drive. There is some difference between the '84 & maybe the '85 final drives and driven gearcompared with the '86 & '87. I don't know what the difference is, I just know they are different part numbers.

John

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

When I pulled my rear tire off my 1200, I took off the left bag, and rear mud flap, I didn't need to remove the shocks... I did have to dig out a 5 inch trench under the wheel and back to remove and re install the wheel.... the whole thing was a pain...

To compress the rear swing arm I let the air out of the shocks and used a rachettload strap tied to both sides of the swing arm over the top of the saddle (a towel to protect the seat)...rachett the strap until you get the compression you need....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If you remove the bags, and the bottom of both shocks and pull them back out of the way, then use a small jack to raise the swingarm until the left end of the axle clears the exhaust, all you have to do is remove the axle nut, loosen the axle clamp bolt and pull out the axle. Remove the already loose caliper and bracket, tie it up out of the way, remove the 2 spacers on the left, pull the wheel to the left and out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.