Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While driving my 85 Interstate to work this morning the speedometer quit working while riding down the highway. Upon exiting the highway I also noticed the turn signals did not turn off automatically. Any ideas as to what might have caused this or what I can do to ensure I don't get a speeding ticket any time soon? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

dave80110, the self cancelling turn signal problem is directly related to your speedo not working. Do a search on this as it was not too long ago I believe someone else had the same problem. I am sure someone with alot more knowledge than myself will be along shortly to help. Welcome to a really great forum. Randy

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

On hte Aspencade it is caused by a bad sending unit on the speedo unit. I don't know if the I model is driven the same way but you can tell by looking

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '85 Aspy had all the same problems when I bought it. Turned out to be the plastic speedometer drive gear was worn out, on the front wheel. If yours is bad, tell the Honda dealer you want the gear only, ($15) not the assembly ($75). Be sure to grease it good.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

dave80110sounds like your seed sensor went out on you do you have the LCD dash? if so look at spending about 185.00 for it its down on the left fork down by the axle good luck

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Did any 85 interstates have the LCD panel??

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yes, it's what the speedo cable screws into at the lower left fork near the axle.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

The electric sender is little black square box mounted to the speedo drive with a single screw its located down at the axle on the left, you need to take this off the speedo drive then rotate the front wheel to determine if the drive itself is working, if it is then the electric sender is most likely the problem, if the drive is not working the nylon gear inside is most likely worn and you need to remove the drive to replace the gear in it their is a worm gear in there as well but when you have it out you will see that and determine if thats worn highly unlikely though. I the drive appears to be working ok and it appears to be the sender ther is a proceedure in the manual for testing it which involves accessing the rear of the actual speedo clock to connect a volt meter so if you feel confident enough to do this i sugest you get a manual otherwise you can take a chance and purchase an electric sender chances are it will solve it but not guaranteed to as their is the possibility that the clock could be at fault although i dont think this would affect the self cancelling of the indicators. Regards Dermot

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Hi Dermot here again sorry i misread the problem that bike does,nt have digital so if the drive prooves to be ok then the problem is in the speedo or the speedo cable is broken sorry again Dermot

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Is there a way to check the cable without getting to the back of the clock? I disconnected the cable at the sensor and tried to spin the cable with a small flat tip screw driver with no luck. Is that normal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.