Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On a ride this weekend my 1984 GL1200I developed a screeching noise that I determined to be speedometer related. After a period of time and the speedometer being eratic the screech increased in volume and was followed by a loud pop. The speedometer dropped to zero and has remained there since. I disconnected the cable at the wheel and spun it with a drill motor but the speedometer did not move. I have consulted Clymers and they do not even discuss analog speedometers. How do I access the back of the speedometer and test it and the cable? I don't like not having a speedometer.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

sounds like the speedo drive mech bit the dust,not sure if the interstate or aspy drives are interchangeable

according to my honda parts microfiche the speedo box asssembly is the same 84-86 all models so you should be able to get one off ebay easily

only thing i see on ebay is a brand new one now but keep checking maybe someone here has a spare and will help ya out

opps,reread your post again,if it turns at the wheel but not at the speedo side i would think that you have a broken speed cable,see if the cable will pull out in one piece

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

Did you pull the cable out to see if it is broken?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Pull the inner cable out at the wheel. You'll likely only get part of it that looks like s__t.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

disconnect the cable at the speedo and move it so you can see the end while driving, then drive a block or less to see if ti turns. If it turns then you know the speedo self destructed. this is the easiest way to troubleshoot . I had one go that way 2 years ago.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

I had a speedo self destruct. Needle broke off, insides of the unit were all twisted up.With only 50K miles, it seems unlikely that could be your case, but...the noises sound familiar.

BTW, when you check with the drill, it has to be put in reverse to register on the speedo.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Okay guys how do I get to the back of the speedometer?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

At that point, you should be able to slide the instrument panel cover forward enough to access the cable. It's very tight, but...

Attachments

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

When you put that cover back in place, make sure the bottom fits into its clip. If you can't get at the cable from there, you'll have to loosen the gauges. Let me know and I can lead you through that.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Why does everything I do have to be so complicated? I'm surpised I don't have to remove the engine!

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Olegrumpy wrote:
Why does everything I do have to be so complicated? I'm surpised I don't have to remove the engine!
Wait till you pull the FLUX CAPACITOR for the speedo-drive...:ROFL: :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

Olegrumpy wrote:
You do have to remove the engine to replace the speed. :shock:

Not really, of course. However, this would be a good time to check the dash lights. You do have to go ahead and pull the gauge cluster to do that, but this is the time for it.

Have you tried running a drill on the cable in reverse? Have you taken the inner cable out to make sure it's not broken?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.