Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike starts fine when its cold. After a 30 minute ride, the starter struggles to turn the engine over and does not start. Let her cool down for 15 minutes and she cranks right up.



This sounds more like a dying starter than a weak battery (battery is 2 years old).



Where can I get a rebuilt starter?



Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
imported post

The starter might get by with a good cleaning. With the Wing on the side-stand you can remove the starter, once out/apart. Check the ground connection and get all the carbon dust out of the housing. Mine acted the same way when the battery was replaced.



A good automotive starter repair shop can can/should be able to go over your starter. You can even do a search of the forums, there were some good posts with photos here over the years. Some for 1100's but the principal is the same.



But you should still check to be sure the battery is fully charged, and is charging properly. I love the looks of the 1200's, and we have to keep them on the road as long as we can... :gunhead:
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,575 Posts
imported post

It does sound starter-ish. However, don't rule out the battery.

You will be way, way better off to just refresh your starter. You don't know what you will get unless you buy OEM.
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

Check and clean the connections all the way from the frame ground through the battery to the starter before pulling the starter.

I had the same symptoms and was getting close to pulling the starter but cleaning the connections cured the problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
It does sound starter-ish. However, don't rule out the battery.

You will be way, way better off to just refresh your starter. You don't know what you will get unless you buy OEM.
Well the starter is only 27 years old. Kinda young to be wearing out.



Think some new brushes would help?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

The symptoms you described Jim are typical of a starter motor needing a refurb.
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,575 Posts
imported post

You don't say how many miles. My starter lasted 200,000 before it gave me any trouble. Did you clean the connections like Ken suggested?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
You don't say how many miles. My starter lasted 200,000 before it gave me any trouble. Did you clean the connections like Ken suggested?
Acutal mileage is unknown due to broken speedometer. Previous owner estimated he rode it 20K with it broken until I bought it and fixed it. That would put the mileage around 75-80K. I don't understand how he could ride so long with the speedometer busted when it only cost $40 and 15 minutesto fix.



When cold the bike will start fine, but the first revolution of the engine is slow, bike usually fires up on the 2nd or 3rd revolution.



I plan to clean it per Tim's tutorial and replace the brushes and wire from the solenoid from to the starter. If I did my math right this should cost under $25.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,777 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hey GreyDino,



I did a "How To" for the 1100 starters.



The 1200 are very close to the 1100's in their layout.



Heres the link...



http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/73447.html



Very easy to do.



Tim.
Just re-read the tutorial for the 20-um-teenth time, truely a great job Tim. :applause:

I hope you've got a proper garage by now.



I'm really impressed with the "Granit" topped workbench. Whenever I bring Wing parts into the kitchen i get the :lash:... :gunhead:
 

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
Joined
·
22,575 Posts
imported post

GreyDino wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
You don't say how many miles. My starter lasted 200,000 before it gave me any trouble. Did you clean the connections like Ken suggested?
Acutal mileage is unknown due to broken speedometer. Previous owner estimated he rode it 20K with it broken until I bought it and fixed it. That would put the mileage around 75-80K. I don't understand how he could ride so long with the speedometer busted when it only cost $40 and 15 minutesto fix.

When cold the bike will start fine, but the first revolution of the engine is slow, bike usually fires up on the 2nd or 3rd revolution.

I plan to clean it per Tim's tutorial and replace the brushes and wire from the solenoid from to the starter. If I did my math right this should cost under $25.
The point of my post was to suggest you try Ken's solution before you remove the starter. I think a lot of parts are replaced that don't need to be.

Also, on my car, I was getting the exact same symptoms as your bike and it turned out to be the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the compliments regarding the "How Too". I am really pleased that it has helped so many people over the last few years. It makes all the prep work and extra time to take pictures and really document things worthwhile.

Shooter...

The pictures in the article was taken on my work bench in the house. We wouldn't be talking right now if I ever showed up in the kitchen with bike parts.

I do have a proper garage now. You can see it here...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/110681-1.htmlhttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/110681-1.htmlhttp://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/110681-1.html

Thanks again for the compliments! Glad I could help.

Tim.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine was doing the same thing. Do yourself a favor and just get a new one. I tried cleaning mine twice...which worked for a while but gradually got worse again. My bike starts with authority now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
imported post

New brushes and adding a ground wire between the brush plate and a small nut and bolt in the end cone.

The problem is the old brushes are worn and the brush plate is dirty and not making a good enough contact with the casing to ground correctly.

Here are the instructions for this. Remember the 84 starter is different from the 85-87's. The rebuild kits are readily available in Ebay, just be sure it is for the correct year.

http://bobsold.goldwingfacts.com/GL1200str.pdf



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Problem solved.



It got worse before better - it would not start at all cold. Got a jump and it started fine. So that made me think it was the battery. So I pulled the battery out and noticed one of the 3 yellow alternator wires had chaffed and melted in 2.



I replaced the chaffed wire, added water to the battery and charged it up and its all back together.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
imported post

GreyDino , see the tech. section to deal with the stator connector and as she is getting on you might want to refurbish the starter too.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top