Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From what I understand, the computer control unit is under the rear trunk on my 1200 LTD. Is it safe to say the trunk needs to be removed to access the CCU? Are the code lights just on or do I need to do something to start a code search? My wing runs good, I just wonder if it has any issues that, if fixed,might make it run even better.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

As if you were sitting on the bike, on the left hand side, under the trunk you can see the side of the ccu that has the lights. You can see most of the lights, I think #1 is just behind the bracket that holds the unit in place.

If there was an issue, certain lights would be on and or blinking. No lights means there are no issues that the computer can read.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. I found it. I can see 2 lights and since you said #1 is hidden, I assume there are only 3 total. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes and saw no lights, so I guess things are ok. Can the bracket be removed or loosened for easier viewing without removing the trunk? I, or someone else, may need this kind of info in the future.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Here is a picture of the chart showing what the codes mean.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

yooperfan wrote:
Thanks. I found it. I can see 2 lights and since you said #1 is hidden, I assume there are only 3 total. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes and saw no lights, so I guess things are ok. Can the bracket be removed or loosened for easier viewing without removing the trunk? I, or someone else, may need this kind of info in the future.
As you can see from the info posted from Bellboy there are 5 led's total. You will notice that no matter what fault the one marked "W" will be lit so if not then ne need to look further. Welcome to the forum. I routinely pass through your neck of the woods. Going riding today-hopefully not for the last time this year!

:waving:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

The lights will come on when you start up the bike. To get to the computer, you have to remove the trunk. I had to do that to put on my rear shocks in the spring. The bracket that holds the computer blocks the first 2 lights, so I cut the bracket with a hacksaw. Now I can see all 5 lights no problem. Be careful with this computer as I understand they are hard to come by, and very expensive if you can find one.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

If I can see 2 bulbs (rearward) and #1 (assuming that is the middle bulb per the chart) is behind the bracket, does that mean there are 2 more bulbs left (forward) of the bracket? The best I can tell, I don't have any lit and no real MAJOR running issues, I'm just trying to learn more about my LTD so I know where to look and what to look for if I ever do have a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

yooperfan wrote:
If I can see 2 bulbs (rearward) and #1 (assuming that is the middle bulb per the chart) is behind the bracket, does that mean there are 2 more bulbs left (forward) of the bracket? The best I can tell, I don't have any lit and no real MAJOR running issues, I'm just trying to learn more about my LTD so I know where to look and what to look for if I ever do have a problem.
You are correct. There are 5 lamps to indicate a computer detected trouble with the fuel injection. If the "W" lamp is not on there are no codes in the computer.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Freddie Johnston wrote:
If it is running good leave it alone.Copy this page down as reference and enjoy it.
It runs REAL GOOD, but not GREAT. That may just be the nature of the beast. I feel there's always room for improvement and I was wondering if there was a code pointing towards any issues. I won't tear the wing apart looking for something that may not exist (trouble codes), because with my luck, I'd probably break something. But I willlook at what is out in the open (visible code lights).

You can bet I'll enjoy it as much as possible. After all, it is a wing.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Well again-ANY code will have the "W" led lit so if it isn't then there won't be a code.
Other issues on these bikes that'll cause rough running are things like vacuum leaks, faulty fuel pressure regulator etc. Is bike new to you. If so there are some other items that need to be addressed sooner than later...timing belts, removal and soldering direct of stator wires,condition of air-filter and eviction of any critters and/or their building material etc...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I'm finishing my second year of owning this bike, during which time I've put 10,000 miles on it. It now has 44,000 miles on the clock. It looked like new when I bought it and it still does. The regulator went out after the first few months and I was too green to know how to check it so Ma Honda did the work. The stator checked out ok, but the wire connector was shot, so they replaced it. Each year, I've changed the oil and filter, cleaned and gapped the (newish) plugs, Checked the air filter (still clean), drained the crankcase breather tank, and cleaned the wing. I had a new rear tire put on this spring. I've run a couple of cans of Sea Foam thru the tank and a little in the oil before a change. Before next spring, I want a new front tire and to work on the front end to eliminate the death wobble. I'm going to check out the fuel system parts and vaccuum hoses. I'm working up to being able to do more than tinker with the basics. I hope to soak up info like a sponge.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I pass right by your neck of the woods at least 20 times during the riding season. A word of warning-mother Honda will not necessarily put the right regulator on your bike or fix the connector issue properly for that matter be sure to double check. Happy to have a look/help if you need it during the riding season...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Give me a heads up when you're heading this way and maybe we can get together.

When Ma Honda replaced the regulator, the first one they got was the wrong one. Something about 1 wire instead of 2 wires, or something like that. PA Honda said Ma ordered the wrong part, so it took a few extra days (a week total) to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Well, I rode 200+ miles fri after thanskgiving but not sure I'll get out as next weekend looks lousy and it's getting a bit nippy out. May be putting bike to bed soon:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Both of you guys don't live too far from me. We should try and do a ride next year. I have ridden Rt. 6 out to Starved Rock. That's a pretty nice ride.
Can't wait until it gets warmer again, Put my Wing to bed last weekend.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Yell loud and early if you're going to head to Starved Rock, or anywhere, and we can meet up to ride there together. I'm always looking for a riding partner. Weekdays and weekends are possible sinceI have alternating nights off. Also, I'm on vacation most of the summer, so I can ride almost anytime, except for when I'm gone withmy ATV. I love toys and summer, they make a great combo.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Starved Rock is o.k. on a weekday or early on a weekend. If it gets too late too many bikes come out and feels like you are in a parade. Route 6 is what I usually take from 47 so right near you.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

If it runs good but not great what is it not doing?If you are mechanically incline get you a service manual and read up on it and start asking people that own the fuel injected 1200 because one that is carb is a different animal engine is the same but when it gets to injection it can get interesting at times.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

It stumbles off the line and has a low (800 RPM), uneven idle when cold. In fact, with temps around freezing, it won't idle on it's own for about 1-2 minutes. I have a Clymer manual, tools, and I know more than lefty loosey, righty tighty. I do much of my own work, but not all. I know my lilmitations which include knowledge, lack of special tools, body (mine), time, and room. I work around my limitations as much as I can, but engine removal would pass them all.

I'm a shade tree mechanic with a yard with no trees.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.