Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 LTD trike and the cruise stop working. When I engage the cruise the cruise light comes on and when I set it the light cruise on light is on but it will not set. It has just started this and when I disengage the unit by hitting the brakes or the clutch the set will go off. Any help will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Does the 1200 cruise have a vacuum actuator? If it does and all the cruise indicator lights are coming on and off when they should, I would be looking for weak vacuum or cracked/disconnected vacuum hoses.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Choppas is right, you need to check for a vacuum leak or disconnected hoses at the vacuum actuator. It appears that all the electrical stuff is working as it should. Trouble is likely in the vacuum circuit or the cable from the actuator to the throttle.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
From your description it sounds to me that you have a problem with the handlebar switches. There are four switches in the CC system that will shut off the cruise control. There is a switch on the clutch lever, front brake lever, rear brake pedal and down by the throttle cables where they connect to the throttle body.
The usual fault is one of the handlebar switches, the others are much less troublesome. If your bike has aftermarket levers that's a likely cause of a CC that won't set. Try pushing out on the levers before you try to set the cruise. If that works do it again one at a time to determine which one is causing the problem.
If that doesn't do it check the two handlebar switches with an ohmmeter. If I remember right the right brake lever cruise switch will close when the lever is pressed. The clutch side is normally closed and opens when the lever is pressed. It might be the other way 'round, I'm not sure anymore.
If one of these switches isn't being operated sufficiently to do the job you can glue a thin little piece of pop can aluminum to the lever where it contacts the brake or clutch lever. That's worked on a couple of bikes I worked on. It can help take up the slop caused by worn bushings in the lever pivots. You can also get new bushings or make some up if that's the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.