Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I am finally done with my bike, other than tinkering, which I will always be doing. I've got all the mechanical stuff fixed or eliminated, I got a like new seat and backrest, and a new windshield. I have virtually been through the entire bike with the exception of the engine, which seems to be just fine. I have put over 2000 miles on it now without any issues, including one 500+ mile day. Yes, it still has the R/R overheating problem, but I have circumvented that with a homemade cooling system which blows large volumes of air directly on the R/R. I carry a cheap meter with me, as well as a new R/R, just in case. Hopefully next weekend I will have time to install the analog voltmeter I recently bought. Bike runs beautifuly at freeway speeds, smooth as silk, and you can't even hear the engine. And just in time for AZ riding season. I'm debating on whether to take it to Portland, OR in the next couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Congratulations. I would say it will give you great pleasure to update your rebuild thread with this good news.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Couldn't have done it without all the help from members of this forum. And a special thanks to Ceasefire49, who donated the rear wheel.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,571 Posts
imported post

Uh, Jerry...

Riding season in Portland is about 1week long. And it's over this year. Try again next August.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Uh, Jerry...

Riding season in Portland is about 1week long. And it's over this year. Try again next August.
Excuse me Dennis.:shock:

The riding season in Portland is about the same as here, 11>12 months, sure it's wet and cold at times but that's life on the Wet Coast.

Jerry, congratulations on getting her done.:applause:

As I said the weather in Portland will not be a problem but if you're taking any mountain passes on the way this time of year can be treacherous.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good going Jerry, glad the wrst is behind you and you can start getting some enjoyment out of it,

If it runs anything like my LTD, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. I have put 5,000 on mine in the past couple of months with the only problem being the dreaded 3 yellow wire connection which I fixed on the road and have had no other issues.

God luck my friend, maybe that bike can make it to NC someday.........

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Uh, Jerry...

Excuse me Dennis.:shock:

The riding season in Portland is about the same as here, 11>12 months, sure it's wet and cold at times but that's life on the Wet Coast.

Jerry, congratulations on getting her done.:applause:

As I said the weather in Portland will not be a problem but if you're taking any mountain passes on the way this time of year can be treacherous.
Ken-check his avatar. Maybe he means while wearing a "jeans jacket"...

:D

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The length of the riding season anywhere depends on the rider. Last New Years day I saw a guy on BMW tooling down I94 east of St. Paul. My Goldwing had already been safely put to bed for a couple of weeks.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

I was considering heading up there until I looked at the snow on the pass reports. My riding in the NW is done now in the summer months. To much ICE and Rain to deal with and hell I grew up in the NW and rode in the Rain all the time but........I live in AZ now and do my riding around here and Cal in the winter and up North and east in the summer. That way for the most part I stay Dry and happy. :waving:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

My riding season is slowly ending here and I live in Arizona. But, at 5300 ft elevation in the mountains, it gets pretty darn cold. I ride for fun and riding when it's 25 out isn't fun. I'll just take my bike down and park it at Dennis's garage :) It's like 70 there all winter!! hehehe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,571 Posts
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
My riding season is slowly ending here and I live in Arizona. But, at 5300 ft elevation in the mountains, it gets pretty darn cold. I ride for fun and riding when it's 25 out isn't fun. I'll just take my bike down and park it at Dennis's garage :) It's like 70 there all winter!! hehehe
Wow, a parts bike! That will be keen. :action:hehehe

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Ray Jay you can park it here. I have all kinds of good Ideas for Modifications on the 1200 I would like to try out on another Bike to see if they work before instituting the changes on my Bike.:ROFL:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
Being in the Phoenix area, I like to ride up north, to Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Payson, Heber, Show Low, etc in the summer. I get up and take off before sunrise, so I am out of the Phoenix valley before it gets too hot. Once you are up there, you are pretty much stuck up there all day, until the sun goes down. There is one place up on the rim between Payson and Heber that reaches 8000 feet. I also like to take my dual sport bike up there and ride the Forest Routes and trails. Have gone motorcycle camping up in the Forest Lakes area many times.

You can always come down south and ride all winter, but it might be a little more difficult than what I do. By the time it warmed up enough to head down this way,, you wouldn't have much time to ride until you had to head back before it got too cold. Or you could ride down, spend a couple of nights, and spend a couple of nice warm days exploring the desert.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.