Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Last fall i went to store my back took the battery out and parked it a week later i had to move it my fuel system light was on and it was not running well. upon reaching my destination and removing the batter again i found my connection was not great, so i chalked the issue up to that. just pulled my bike out of storage today bought i new conventional battery, put it in. as expected it didnt have enough charge to start the bike. i jump started it it ran a little rough but smoothed out. my fuel system light is still remaining on although it seemed to run great. could this be a result of a low battery?
1985 GL1200 LTD
Thank you,
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
OK, Last fall i went to store my back took the battery out and parked it a week later i had to move it my fuel system light was on and it was not running well. upon reaching my destination and removing the batter again i found my connection was not great, so i chalked the issue up to that. just pulled my bike out of storage today bought i new conventional battery, put it in. as expected it didnt have enough charge to start the bike. i jump started it it ran a little rough but smoothed out. my fuel system light is still remaining on although it seemed to run great. could this be a result of a low battery?
1985 GL1200 LTD
Thank you,
Andy

With fuel system light on there should also be fault codes seen on the ECU's LEDs. Viewd from left side of bike under travel trunk.
Are you familiar with this?

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also at 1 point after installing my conventional battery ( first time dealing with having to fill a battery) while I was trying to crank it over the positive terminal got hot enough to melt the boot! What happened here?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
if the battery connection is tight,i would not overlook that the cable from battery to solenoid is corroded and should be replaced,unless it took you a long period of cranking to get mc started

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Still haven't had to really tear into my charging system (knock on wood ;)), but like the man already said, if the fuel light is on there should be a code on the ECM under the trunk. Heads up, the last led is kinda hidden behind the bracket, so make sure you've checked that one before "locking down" the error code.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
i did do a lot of cranking initially, would this cause the terminal to heat up?

Yes it would. Next time you crank the bike when she's cold, roll the throttle a bit so she'll get a bit more gas and she'll crank much easier!

After checking the ECU for any lights, there is one thing I can think of that will cause the light to come on and that's the engine balance which is easy enough to check with 2 manometers..

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Since he is not familiar with checking ecu codes, you guys might tell him the ecu doesn't store faults. If he turns off the key, he has start over.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
on the ltd/sei's there are two fuel lights
1) FUEL light which when lite means fuel is needed
2) FUEL SYSTEM light which when lite shows that there is a malfunction in the fuel injection system
one thing about the Ltd/Sei systems is that in most cases depending on the malfunction when the light comes on the mc is placed in a bypass mode which which mc will still operate and allow you to drive home
one

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK went to check the ECM, No more fuel system light. i am guessing the problem may have been because i bought a new conventional battery and had to fill it myself. (Note to self don't use one of your favorite knives to cut open the electrolytes). anyway, i let the battery sit for an hour put it in the bike and still couldnt start it hence all the cranking. i jumped the bike rode her home with the fuel system light on. that night put battery on a trickle charge for 2 days lol. i wasnt going anywhere. now the fuel system light is not on. will be making a new hread about my compressor now.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
the fuel system light auto resets once the bike is turned off,it will stay off until it sees the fault again,at that time stop the mc,leave running in neutral and check the ecm lights and remember which ones are flashing

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
It sounds possible that you may still have a problem to me...either a charging issue or a bad battery cable or both. A low enough voltage with bike running and strange things happen such as the fuel system light coming on, likely the fuel pump doesn't have enough juice to develop enough pressure etc.
Before going on any long rides I would check your charging system thoroughly including the connections on the 3 yellow wires and the battery cables.
Does your voltmeter work on bike?

·
Registered
211 Posts
with a conventional battery, after adding the electrolyte, you still have to charge it up before you can use it on the bike. use a hydrometer instead of relying solely on voltage readings.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have a full tank of gas, voltmeter i think generally reads 10.5 to 11.5. can be hard to see sometimes. its kind of an antique lol. i am in denial about the charging sytem but im thinking its inevitable. it needs fixed. anyone going to nassir 6 wanna do that for me lol.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Have you checked the three yellow wires at the stator and at the regulator? Mine read like yours until I fixed those, now it pumps 13 volts all day long. Even if they look "fixed", double check them.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
not unusual for the stock voltmeter to read low,check your charging voltage at about 2000 rpm with a voltmeter at the battery terminals
the ltd/sei are prone to having problems at the stator and regulator connectors and occasionally at the solenoid connector
before fixing(hardwiring) my system my voltage was 14.1,and as soon as the regulator connector heated up would drop to 11.5v,now stays a rock solid 14.5 even with full time driving lights (2x55w) on,but since i have hid and leds all way around that also has an effect too

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen post about the three red wires but I am not real savvy on electronics, or motors for that matter. Ill have to go buy me a voltmeter and check those wires. If you can post a link to where I get that info again it would be appreciated. I guess I haven't been in a hurry to do it cause then if I know ill gave to fix it lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.