Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a LTD trike and when it is cold I have to turn the thottle about half way open and it will start after it turn over a few times. After it crank one time and I cut it off it starts good don't have to touch the thottle none. I check the fuel pump and the fuel filter both of them ok. Also the starter is ok. It do this when I don't run it a feew days. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

ortiger wrote:
I have a LTD trike and when it is cold I have to turn the thottle about half way open and it will start after it turn over a few times. After it crank one time and I cut it off it starts good don't have to touch the thottle none. I check the fuel pump and the fuel filter both of them ok. Also the starter is ok. It do this when I don't run it a feew days. Any help will be appreciated.
I think that what you described is normal for most GLs as they have a pretty small float bowls so when you don'tride it for a few days then the fuel from the bowls will partlyevaporateandthe fuel pumpwill need a few turns by the starter to re-load the bowls with the fuel. Justa thought!

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,881 Posts
imported post

Agree with Alex.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1200 LTD/SEI are fuel injected, no carb bowls. Normally on those bikes you don't have to touch the throttle to get it to start and idle. Mine sure didn't need anything but a turn of the key. Quick starting and smooth idle even in cold weather was one of the really nice things about those bikes. It sounds like your bike might be having a problem getting fuel pressure up, might be a leak in the system between the pump and fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I had a starting issue with my LTD a few weeks ago. On two occasions it did not start and the third it was very hard to start. All this occurred when cold. Bike would start fine when hot. I put a set of plugs in it and have not had any issues.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Oops....I became so habitual to the carbs when talking about GLs that I forgot that there were two models with injection....Sorry!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nothing to be sorry about. In my case I can plead old age when that happens.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

It do this when I don't run it a feew days. Any help will be appreciated.

What's the condition of your battery?? Could be low and not providing enough voltage to run the starter and fire the engine. Especially if the bike has been sitting for a few days. Might not hurt to do a load test on the battery.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
I had a starting issue with my LTD a few weeks ago. On two occasions it did not start and the third it was very hard to start. All this occurred when cold. Bike would start fine when hot. I put a set of plugs in it and have not had any issues.
I put a set of plugs in it . I set the gap at 35 it started this before I put the plugs in. I also check for any gas leaks from the fuel pump and there weren't none. It has always started find just one touch of the starter switch it would start. But in the last 500 miles it started being hard to crank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.