Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone

My name is Joe Lipps. I am a new member, just purchased a 85 Goldwing Ltd. I stripped it down. Now I am putting it back together. Replaced the starter and relay so far I haven't got any fire anywhere. I can short out the starter and it turnes the engine fine. But turning on the stwitch and hitting the starter nothing. I am not getting any fire to the instrument panel. Nothing lights up. I could use some help please.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe, Welcome to the best GoldWing Forum on the net.

If you copy/paste that to the Technical Forum, you'll sure to get all the answers you're looking for. The experts on that Forum rarely visit this Forum.

BTW......if ya got a sense of humour, I'd love to see ya posting on the Fun Forum:waving:................Brian :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Check the main dog bone fuse on the starter solenoid that is to the right of the battery when you are looking at the battery. They get old and brittle and crack. Often folks wire in and auto type blade fuse to take the place of the dog bone fuse. If you are getting no power anywhere this is usually the reason.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Joe Lipps[/align]

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

On top of the relay, there are some wires. One of themmay not behooked up correctly. Is it an OEM relay?

Have you checked the fuse block? There should be an ignition fuse.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I understand most hook ups have 4 wires one from the switch one from the starter button then u have the one from the starter and the battery. I have those and two more that the ends woundn't hook up to either terminal. The two mystery wires carried fire to the switch but I am not getting anything back to the relay.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Has some one changed the wiring on your bike? If not, check the main dog bone fuse and as Dennis said the wires going to the relay. I've heard of bad ignition switches also causing issues. Some times wiggling the key can get some action, the display to light up or something. But I would check with the main power input at the dog bone fuse.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks I checked that today it is ok.It is confusing to me the dog bone wire is white and is hot leaving the fuse.At the switch there is no white wire. Evedently it goes somewhere else. I am going to do some more tracing tomorrow.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

Do you have a manual?

Is the relay OEM?

Can you maybe get a pic of the top of the relay. I don't understand what you are saying about the number of wires.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds to me like a good multimeter and test light are in your future if you don't already have one. Good luck with this. I think they guys above pointed you in the right direction. Oh, and I would start with the little things (switches, fuses, etc).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.