Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was hoping not to post this until it was done, more as a "how-to" than a help me... but I'm kinda stuck and it's better to ask than screw up at this stage. So let's get down to it.

When I got the bike, there was evidence that the PO may not have had the best relationship with gravity... all over the right side of the fairing :). The right pocket had been completely removed and the lid had just been run into the fairing with drywall screws. Since there was already a fair amount of cracking, that just made the situation worse. When I installed my heated grips, I took the lid off and cut the lip down around the hole. When I pulled the lid I realized it was the only thing holding together that part of the fairing. As a temporary fix, I made a metal "filler plate" to cover the hole and hold what was left of the fairing together. I'm finally digging in to try and fix what I can of the fairing.

So first, a preview of what I'm starting with...

I started by cleaning the worst of the cracks with a dremel, leaving everything assembled just in case the accessories was the only thing holding it together...

While working, I found another smaller crack, decided to go ahead and deal with it now...

After a few thin coats of ABS cement over the cleaned up areas (which I cleaned more after taking those pics... just in case ;)), I went ahead and removed my patch panel and the compressor screen... that's when I started finding the real damage :sadguy:...

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

So I patched all that up, then noticed the cracks looked like that wrapped around, so I pulled the autolevel computer, I just about cried...

and that's not all, the cracks around the bottom went all the way through... So after fixing everything that I found, here's where I'm at....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So now the questions that remain... obviously that gaping hole above the compressor set up shouldn't be there, but the area that was there previously just crumbled... there's nothing left. I'm thinking some sheet ABS, but where the **** do I get sheet ABS?

Next, under the compressor screen, where I reattached the lower bracket part, is good and solid, but I'd feel much better if I could coat the back side like I did all the other repairs, but my hand ain't that small... suggestions?

And last, once all this sets up a couple days, it clearly needs to be sanded and bodied work... yes I should have thought of this earlier, but hey, who's counting? Anyway, question is, can I just sand, prep, and bondo like I would for sheet metal? I've never used bondo on plastic, so I just want to make sure...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
So now the questions that remain... obviously that gaping hole above the compressor set up shouldn't be there, but the area that was there previously just crumbled... there's nothing left. I'm thinking some sheet ABS, but where the **** do I get sheet ABS?
You can get black or white ABS sheet off Amazon. I've ordered several sheets already. Used some pieces to repair the interior of one of my saddlebags. What thickness do you need? I have some extra .125 thick sheets.

Pick your thickness here:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just hit it with a caliper... looks like the surrounding plastic is 1/8", so that'll work perfectly... How much ya want and when could you ship? :)

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Send me a PM, and let me know how much you need, and how fast you want it. I can fit a small cut piece in a Priority Mail envelope, would be the quickest way.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so thanks to Silicon Sam looks like the sheet ABS is taken care of... so that's one problem down... now how 'bout those bondo and impossible to reach areas issues?

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
I have two 1100's that suffered that PO and gravity issue...One was not cracked, busted or chipped till I took it to a "friends" shop....Told his mechanic three times and my "friend" "The front tire is from 1982 its old and it doesn't hold air, so if y'all wouldn't mind put it on the center stand, because it will fall over if not"....OK the "clown" in that shop left it on the kick stand, what did it do???..It fell over onto three dirt bikes, busted my fairing, you know the drill "We are not responsible for ya ya ya"...Now all I wanted him to do to it was just rebuild and adjust the carbs, his mechanic called me on "ALL" of the items it was going to need to fix it...Almost three times more than I gave for it running?????.....

When I went to pick it up, it was leaned over on its left side against a wall???...Then as I was looking at it the mechanic, whom I had only talked to on the phone, he didn't know me, was telling another customer how he had "inflated his prices on that piece of crap Goldwing, so the owner would come get it, to where he wouldn't have to work on it"?????...My "friend" tried to get me to leave it and he would just rebuilt the carbs for $200.00...I loaded it up, never went back..

Point here is that I do have one really fantastic 1100 fairing I bought with all of the radio components in it, no cracks, chips or dings...It will go on one of my 1100's, but pulling the one here at the house I seen where there was a small piece missing...I ordered some Plastex, and made the repairs as needed, even filled in that missing piece, it seems to be OK as I was moving it one day dropped it on that side, it held??..BTW I have used the ABS glue and it worked great, just takes a lot of sanding to get it flat, so I don't need to use too much body fillers...

I have repaired several cracks, chips, and little odds and ends on my first Wing with Plastex, and one day soon I'll either get it all back together or just sell it????.....One last item, at this breakers I go to he has an really beautiful 1200 fairing in his shop, no cracks, dings or chips missing...but I don't know what he's asking for it...??

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I had success repairing my fairing with sheet ABS. To glue it I have seen others take ABS cement and add ABS sanding dut to it too thicken it. I tried this but had problems with it setting up too quickly. I found that you can dissolve ABS in MEK in a sealed jar and then scoop it out and apply. My repairs seen to be holding up well. Hope This Helps!!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be honest, I have no clue what MEK is, but i do know you can do the same thing with acetone :)

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I'm a day late and a dollar short, I have a fairing with only a small crack at the aft main bracket mount other wise pretty good condition you can have.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
If it is of any value I have used abs glue and backed it with fiber glass cloth( on the inside). that will cover a lot and be as strong as the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a day late and a dollar short, I have a fairing with only a small crack at the aft main bracket mount other wise pretty good condition you can have.
And now I feel pretty dumb, because I'm almost possitive you made that offer once before and I was just too stupid to remember it. At this point I'm so far in I may as well try to finish it, but if I don't like the way it turns out I may be sending you a PM.

Right now the project is in a minor holding pattern while I wait on a sign shop to finish something for me... but I'm hoping to get that later today and get back to work. I MAY have it done by the end of the weekend depending on how things go.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your black ABS sheet went out yesterday, so you should have that any day now too.
Sweet! Now I just gotta get this sign shop to pull there thumbs out of there butts and I'll be back on the road :)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They changed brands, they don't carry the Oatey anymore... now they have "Weld*On"... it's in a red container and not nearly as clearly labeled. Seems to work just as well as the Oatey though... it's what I've used for this whole repair so far.​

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.