Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i give up can anyone anyone help me find a crankshaft position sensor for a 1986 asp sei illl take new or used they dot make them anymore is there anyway around this problem it is definately the problem someone allways comes through hope so this time thax

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The LTD is the same engine, but the LTD/SEi were only made 2 years, and parts specific to those bikes are very hard/near impossible to find. I have an '85 LTD, and fortunately the electronics all still work on it. Seems they built electronics way better back then than they do today. Almost 30 years and still going is not likely to happen with a modern bike or car.

ncgradall, keep checking eBay and there are also a few online places that sell used parts for vintage Wings. Be patient, something will probably turn up eventually.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The Limited and the SE-i blocks appear to be the same, only the rear housing has been changed to protect the stator.......so why wouldn't there be a mounting post for the pg's?
I've never been able to physically compare a PG off a fuelie to the PG's used on the carb models.
Anyone want to bet a PG off an '85-'87 wouldn't work? It's just a pulse signal. Automotive crank and cam position sensors interchange.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Anyone want to bet a PG off an '85-'87 wouldn't work? It's just a pulse signal. Automotive crank and cam position sensors interchange.
The single PG on the crankshaft does appear from the parts diagrams to be 1/2 of an 85-87 set but seems to still be available.
The double one on the camshaft however appears to be different and is NLA.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The single PG on the crankshaft does appear from the parts diagrams to be 1/2 of an 85-87 set but seems to still be available.
The double one on the camshaft however appears to be different and is NLA.
The pg's on the cam are different. But they are still available. 36142-MG9-951 @ $125.00

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
gl,
depends on which site you check,western honda shows them on their site but cheapcycleparts has them as discontinued and they are usually right
but a phonecall would settle the issue

but usually most honda dealers can get on their national search and see if maybe someone has them still on their shelves

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
gl,
depends on which site you check,western honda shows them on their site but cheapcycleparts has them as discontinued and they are usually right

but usually most honda dealers can get on their national search and see if maybe someone has them still on their shelves
There are two on ebay right now. New. 79.95
If they are discontinued, maybe we can corner the market.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
gl,
It all depends on how you search Western Honda. By part number they show a price. By parts fiche they show "Call for price".

Yes, Mike reminded me that NLA and discontinued are not synonymous. Sometimes parts that are no longer made are as you say sitting on someones shelf. Sometimes that part on the shelf will show on a dealer search sometimes not.

I've even called dealers, not Honda so far and asked if they had a part, being told yes I arrive at the parts counter and am told "Inventory shows one there but the shelf is bare.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It all depends on how you search Western Honda. By part number they show a price. By parts fiche they show "Call for price".

Yes, Mike reminded me that NLA and discontinued are not synonymous. Sometimes parts that are no longer made are as you say sitting on someones shelf. Sometimes that part on the shelf will show on a dealer search sometimes not.

I've even called dealers, not Honda so far and asked if they had a part, being told yes I arrive at the parts counter and am told "Inventory shows one there but the shelf is bare.
I know all too well about parts in stock, and parts on the shelf. I worked a few different car DEALERSHIPS. After asking the my parts guy if we had one, I'd make him physically go and touch it.
If inventory says we have three, the odds are, we'll probably have at least one.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I know all too well about parts in stock, and parts on the shelf. I worked a few different car DEALERSHIPS. After asking the my parts guy if we had one, I'd make him physically go and touch it.
If inventory says we have three, the odds are, we'll probably have at least one.
Yep, the good old "I'm in a hurry so I'll just grab the part and do the paper work later" which never happens.
A good reason to never give us Mechanics unsupervised access to the parts room.:lash:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
It seems that I remember Oregonwinger posting about how to make a pulse generator from a 1500 work on the LTD/SEI. It has been done successfully but I can't find the information right now.
Maybe you could PM Oregonwinger and see if he could chime in with some information on this.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
It seems that I remember Oregonwinger posting about how to make a pulse generator from a 1500 work on the LTD/SEI. It has been done successfully but I can't find the information right now.
Maybe you could PM Oregonwinger and see if he could chime in with some information on this.
Yes, there have been people that modify the 1500 crank sensor to work for the SE-i. I was just musing about the possibility of the carb'd pulse generators working. Shouldn't need to do any mod, except removing the other PG from the subharness.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
As long as the air gap was OK, and the pulse signal voltage was close enough to 'close the switch' in the ECU and not so far off as to trigger a fault code, it would work.

GL...sounds familiar...When a customer is coming a long ways for an appt., or I'm starting a big job I don't really care to get into without having parts, I always ask the parts person to physically go and touch the parts for me.

Alot of motorcycle parts software doesn't actually remove a part from inventory (allowing a red flag to reorder) until it's actually 'sold'...meaning paid for. So if a part is used on a repair order and that bike isn't delivered and paid for it still shows up in inventory. There can be lots of reasons inventory is off. A smart parts person will pay attention to 'how many are left' when the part is pulled.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
If memory serves, the SEi and LTD's have only a single pulse generator vs a pair. It is mounted under the timing cover.
I'm assuming you have a code for engine speed sensor.
Have you checked the wiring and/or associated connectors as an open circuit or shorted wire will give you a code even if the sensor is fine.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
According to the fiche both the 85 LTD and the 86 SEI use the same pulse gen. part number 36142-MG9-951.
So look for either year, this will double your chances.

PS: Seems to be available through Cyclemax OEM section.
$126.58

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
busdriver,
the pulse generators( ie cam sensors) are not what he needs,he needs the crank sensor which fits in the area of the pg's on the carb units

the cam sensors go on the back of the right head on the ltd's and sei

most sites show a listing but most quote a $48 price,half also say not available

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.