Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm not new to motorcycles, but I am new to the world of Goldwings. I haven't actually bought mine yet, but that's why I'm here. I was hoping someone could give me some insight into the purchase opportunity I have. So here's the deal:

1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi. It has 138k miles on the odometer. The transmission was "having problems" (very broad, I know), the radio doesn't work, the battery is dead, and there is some minor rust here and there because it has been sitting through summer and snowy seasons (under a bike cover) for 3 years. It isn't in terrible condition for sitting for so long, but it will most definitely need some TLC.

Here's the kicker: The owner bought an engine and transmission on Ebay a couple of years ago. It has 32k on it, and has been crated in storage for a couple of years now.

Here's the other kicker: He wants $500 for everything.

So is this just a no-brainer deal of the century or fairly standard for this kind of condition?
What kind of work will it take to get it up and running as a daily rider, and will it be worth buying over one that is already in good condition?
Or would it be worth fixing up to sell for a profit, then using the profit to buy one that is in better condition?

I'm thinking I might even be able to sell it for a profit as it is, but I don't know much about these bikes yet. Thank you in advance for your input!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
The injected models can be a real trial if you need parts. Some of them are now made of unobtanium. So, you could possibly be buying a bike that will never run again...worst case.
Maybe you have an easy fix up classic with years of service left in it...best case
I would buy it and give the machine a fair chance, because the GL12s are great sport bikes. The people here can help in most cases getting you through the hard parts. And...if you can't get it to work, you can part it out and make a killing on those unobtanium pieces.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

At $500 for the bike and spare engine I'd jump on it.

Even if you can't get it running parting it out would put a couple of thousand in your pocket for your next bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, and welcome to the forum.
The injected models can be a real trial if you need parts. Some of them are now made of unobtanium. So, you could possibly be buying a bike that will never run again...worst case.
Maybe you have an easy fix up classic with years of service left in it...best case
I would buy it and give the machine a fair chance, because the GL12s are great sport bikes. The people here can help in most cases getting you through the hard parts. And...if you can't get it to work, you can part it out and make a killing on those unobtanium pieces.
Welcome to the forum.

At $500 for the bike and spare engine I'd jump on it.

Even if you can't get it running parting it out would put a couple of thousand in your pocket for your next bike.
Well, I passed on it. I really wanted to buy it, but the owner was pretty sketchy, telling me that he had to leave town tomorrow and so I had to decide tonight. In another situation I might have bought it even if he was less than honest, but I live in a national park so working on it would be a pain.

I'll be waiting for the next deal...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The one thing to be careful is buying a bike cheap, then putting a ton of money and work into it, only to still wind up with a bike with problems. That's what I did with an '85 1200 LTD, which is the same as an SEi. I spent the better part of a year working on it. It is running good now, but tends to have problems quite often. Mostly electrical, last time it was overheating.

There may be another issue with this one. There are mechanical differences between the fuel injected engines, and my understanding that a fuel injected engine cannot be converted to carburetors, and that a carbureted engine cannot be used with fuel injection, at least not easily. Is the spare engine from an LTD/SEi? If not does it come with carbs? If you have a complete carbed engine, it will bolt into the SEi. It will require some electrical work, but not to bad, it is 1980s technology.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.