Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

got a question to told all. I have 86 goldwing aspy sei. replacing timmming belts and there is only one sensor at crank. Clymer book says two and honda parts site shows something completely different. Any ideas as to who is right?:stumped:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

you betcha they are and somewhere out in right field

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

There is only one sensor on the crank of the LTD/SEis. It sends pulses to the engine computer under the trunk to tell it how fast the crank is turning and if it is speeding up or slowing down. The engine computer (ECU) processes this and several other sensor inputs to determine the fuel injection timing and duration as well as the ignition timing.

On the carbed versions, the sensors (pulse generators) serve only to make the ignition work.

Also, that sensor (known as the NS Sensor) is specific to the LTD/SEi and are not available new from Honda anymore. This would not matter too much except for the fact that they are known to quit working. Typically, the bike will quit running when warm and then restart and work normally for a while once it has cooled off.

With 108,000 miles on your SEi, you would be wise to try to find a spare, unless it has already been replaced. There was a gentleman on this board (I think) who said he had successfully substituted a1500 sensor. I searched, but I can't seem to find that thread. As I recall, though, he was not real specific about how he did it. Using a 1500 one is our only hope for a replacement, I imagine.

You should get the special Honda supplemental manual for the LTD/SEi.Also, check out thethread I started there pertaining to specialized parts availability for the wings.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Only on the back of rh head. Takes a different cam to facilitate the little trigger.

And, Paul's right. A 1500 sensor will indeed work. We have to take some material off the mount (part of crankcase), and elongate the holes on one of the 1500 sensors. Then, the polarity has to be figured out. The polarity will either be right, or wrong. Only 2 choices. I didn't do this myself, but I walked a fella thru it awhile back. He said it worked very well. But, now, he's laid up, so he hasn't been available.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

The pulse generator for the SEI is still listed at DGY.com. Search under part description section for 1986 Goldwing SEI. Go to 'Front Cover' and there it is. Item 19 - $39.73. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

lesgwyn wrote:
The pulse generator for the SEI is still listed at DGY.com. Search under part description section for 1986 Goldwing SEI. Go to 'Front Cover' and there it is. Item 19 - $39.73. Good Luck
Unfortunately, just because a part is listed on the fiche does not mean it is available anymore. Most all of the online parts sources use the same fiche web "thingy" and it will show you the specialized parts for the LTD/SEis.

I think it would be best to call the place first and see if they can verify if the part is available or not before ordering. I went through this with servicehonda.com when I bought a NS Sensor a couple of years ago. I called and the lady I talked to said that they would not even know themselves if the part was available or not until they actually placed the order. She said if it was not available, then my credit card would not be charged. Fortunately for me, there were a few left and I got one.

That does not mean it is not worth a try, though. I am not sure how the Honda parts distribution system works - if they place you are trying to buy the parts from has to go ask Honda if it is available, then I don't think anymore are available. However, it is always possible that there are still some collecting dust at a dealer somewhere and you might luck into one if you contact enough of these places.

I would say the same as you said to "old fart" - Good Luck :)

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

From my experience of parts lists on fische if a part is no longer available it says so! If its listed with a price - they got it! Why be so negative?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

lesgwyn, you can go to many sites, for instance; Service Honda, Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit, and look up a boot for 1200, or the fuelie sensors (crank NS sensor) and their fische shows them listed. That's the tip-off. It's a fische !! One can't tell a fische what's available, or what's not available. I know, as I've gone thru this many times. There are many items "not available", but you won't find out till you place the order. Then, you will get that "negative:shock:" (not available).

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

John,

Find a good used, or new 1500 crank sensor assy. Carefully disassemble it, until you have just one coil, and the resultant 2 wires. You'll have to use a very small pick, drill bit, or something very skinny to get the wire ends out of the 4 connector body. You will have to remove some material off the mounting posts on front of crankcase. I can't tell you how much, but I think this fella that I PM'd with back and forth, said about 5/16". Then, you have to elongate the 2 mounting holes on the sensor. Not much, apparently. Then, you have to take the wires out of the original 2 wire plug body, and insert the wires from the single 1500 sensor. At this point, it may run like crap. You would then, reverse the 2 wires. And you should be in business.

Here's his quote at the end of our pm string.

"If you would like to post the sensor fix that would be good because right now I just dont have the heart to do it. I had to cut down the mounting studs on the crank caseing about 5/16" with a dremel tool and cutoff blades, and I had to oblong the mounting holes on the sensor to get it to line up. Took a couple hours. I hope that you are well".

His LTD had numerous problems, from sitting a long time, hence the multiple PM's. This went on for weeks, but we got it sorted out for him, then they got of some kind, And aren't able to be here for awhile. BTW, I think he bought a new sensor for 90 model 1500, but I think they're all the same.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

lesgwyn wrote:
From my experience of parts lists on fische if a part is no longer available it says so! If its listed with a price - they got it! Why be so negative?
lesgwyn,

If I came across as negative regarding your post, I do apologize. Every tip that we post is valuable, as is yours. I just was trying to point out (as Bob did) that since the websites are showing you fiche, that fiche is only as good as the last time it was updated (I doubt if some of them were ever updated).

The sites that show these parts on the fiche are certainly worth a try. You might even run into some old stock out there somewhere. I was just trying to note that if you see it on a fiche and order it online, you can't be guaranteed that the part will still be available. I don't think any of the online ordering software can check the actual part availability - that is why it is probably a good idea to try to talk to a person at the company first, if possible.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Bought an 86 Goldwing Sei replaced stator and solved charging problem. would still start and die after a few minutes by reading other posts moved on to the sensor. ordered thought i had right one(dual part no.36142-mg9-951) and behold it's a single. this thread was helpful in knowing i can modify mine. want to find the original. DGY.com lists it as no longer available. just wondering if anyone can confirm the single sensor part number is 30-300-MG9-951. are there any more places that may have one?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

bunger-Welcome to the forum. It's best to start your own thread rather than tacking on to an old one.
When bike dies have you checked if you have an indicated fault on the computer (ECU)L.E.D.'s? It is located under the travel trunk and the LED's can be viewed from the left side of bike.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

yes went through all that. code was indicating pulse sensor. 0 and 3 lite would flash when bike failed to run. i believe it's the sensor, just a matter of tracking one down. been reading some other posts, working to this point of troubleshooting that have been very helpful. been finding the part i need has been discontinued not giving up yet though.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Likey that's the issue then.Connector does have a connector above the timing cover-may be worth check-also to make sure that it's wire isn't pinched at the cover.
You can measure the sensor resistance at the ECU coupler. Should be 297-363 Ohms at 68 degrees F. (Per the maintenance manual supplement).

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

Bunger, I don't have the LTD anymore, so I am not as "up" on the LTD/SEis as I once was. But based on my experience, if the error on the ecu indicates the pulse sensor on the front (the NS sensor on the crank), I suspect it will be very difficult to find a new one - but you never know unless you search and call around.

You may be able to find a used one, but they tend to fail over time (it will run until it gets warmed up and/or hot, then it dies - that is what mine did) - so a used one is really a crapshoot.

If I needed an NS sensor I think I would do what oregonwinger did - make one from a 1500 sensor (see the previous posts in this thread).

Good luckon getting it sorted out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.