Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am hunting for a direction here. I have an 86 sei (fuel injected). I bought it with 40,000 miles and it now has 102,000. It is a daily driver other than on the ice (Wisconsin in December thru February). I run a lot of 65 mph back and forth to work. During the warm months it will average 42 mph and drops to abou 38 mph when the temps are below 40 deg F. I was living with that but one of my friends who has the LE said his is usually in the upper 40's. My driving habits are pretty forgiving so I don't think it's just the way I drive.

I also have noticed, every since I had the bike, that when you are operating at highway speed and role off the throttle, you can smell a heavy odor of fuel. This past summer I was going around Lake Superior anda very experienced mechanic was riding his bike behind me at a normal distance. I rolled off the throttle when going down hills and experienced the smell. I never mentioned this to him, but when we stopped he stated that he could smell it and that my bike was running rich.

What is the best average guess fora 65 mph mileage for this bike? How adjustable is this fuel injection system as far as running rich? I had contributed the smell to perhaps a poor sealat the air cleaner (?) but when the mechanic said he could smell it 50' ft behind me I started woundering if the mileage was poor and if there could be an issue to cause theserelated problems.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

There are some sensors involved in making the fuel injection operate. I'm not really familiar with the 1200 FI models but it has a coolant temp sensor, a throttle position sensor not sure but maybe a MAP (vacuum sensor). There is also a fuel pressure regulator. Any of these malfunctioning could cause it to run rich. Running rich on deceleration I would suspect the throttle position sensor or MAP if it has one. Go to the Reference/FAQ forum and download a manual to help with diagnosis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.