Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, to all! I have just got a gold wing today! It is a 1988 GL1500 with about 97k miles. I got it for just 2600$, what I think is a good deal. It has new tires and looks nice!
1) But there is smth bad about it-it doesn't start. The owner told me, that there is nothing wrong with and that they have fired it up 2 weeks ago, but it doesn't start now. So, the battery seems to be fine. It cranks great, but doesn't show any signes of starting up. Seems, like there is either no spark or fuel. I've checked the kill switch it is in on position. What should I look for from now?
2) The radio works, but the rear speakers don't. Is there a special switch?
3) It is a little hard to push, like the brake a little works. Should it be that way?

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
You need to check for spark first and if it is good then go to the fuel system.

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
Yes unfortunately you do.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
FIRST thing I would check is the battery. Have it load tested. The starter may spin the motor, but not have enough volts left to fire the ECU. 1500's love fresh batteries. Second thing to check is, early 1500's had bad bank angle sensors & Honda has an open ended recall to fix it. This may not be your starting problem, but it may become a problem down the road. Timing belts is another thing to check if the PO can't tell you when they were last changed. Good luck with getting your scoot up & running....-Rich

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
Nice purchase…. and welcome to the forum.

I got one like yours… same color too.
But I got to test ride mine before I bought it… from the snow on the ground I can see why you didn't go for a test ride :sobbing:

I agree that the battery is a prime concern. It'll spin the engine over but won't have enough to light the ignition. You can try to charge it first… that's cheap and easy.

About the rear speakers…. it doesn't have rear speakers unless they were installed privately. So…. there's usually no secret switch. If there were rear speakers there would be a silver knob. Sitting on the bike it should be in the cover between the handlebars and the ignition switch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FIRST thing I would check is the battery. Have it load tested. The starter may spin the motor, but not have enough volts left to fire the ECU. 1500's love fresh batteries. Second thing to check is, early 1500's had bad bank angle sensors & Honda has an open ended recall to fix it. This may not be your starting problem, but it may become a problem down the road. Timing belts is another thing to check if the PO can't tell you when they were last changed. Good luck with getting your scoot up & running....-Rich
Ok, I will try to. I will try to jump start it with a car battery tomorrow.
I didn't ask about the timing belts, but I think, that I can change those with no problems, if I'd have to.

Nice purchase…. and welcome to the forum.

I got one like yours… same color too.
But I got to test ride mine before I bought it… from the snow on the ground I can see why you didn't go for a test ride :sobbing:

I agree that the battery is a prime concern. It'll spin the engine over but won't have enough to light the ignition. You can try to charge it first… that's cheap and easy.

About the rear speakers…. it doesn't have rear speakers unless they were installed privately. So…. there's usually no secret switch. If there were rear speakers there would be a silver knob. Sitting on the bike it should be in the cover between the handlebars and the ignition switch.
It was cold and as I said, it didn't start. :sadguy:
I do have a knob nearby the ignition key, and if you turn it it makes the radio volume go up or down.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is the Kill switch in the middle position?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Do you have gas in the tank? LOL

If it is cold out sometimes they can be a little tricky with the choke to get started, especially if it's sat for a week or more.
May not actually be anything wrong.
Did you hear it run before buying it?

Nothing at all wrong with my 95, it starts and runs great. I have several times run down the battery after it sat a few days and was really cold. I did not use the correct amount of choke, either not enough or I was flooding it with too much.
Was my first winter with the 95, but once I found the correct choke setting I don't have any trouble starting it.

My 88, Phanton Gray like yours, I had to roll start because of a broke gear the starter drives to turn the engine.
On the really cold days when I would need to use the choke I think it was 1/2 on or 3/4 on and she would start in about 20'-30' even on the coldest of days.
Most the time I roll started in only maybe 10'

Rolling should be easy if tires are aired up proper. If she rolls stiffl like a brake is hanging a little then it might be. Easy to check, just put it on the center stand and turn the back wheel by hand in neutral, it should turn free and easy though it may not just spin freely like the front should since it's got the friction of the final drive. Should not make any noise when turning.
Front wheel just get it off the ground a little and with a spin it should just spin free for awhile.
Should only take like 5 minutes to check both wheels.

That knob between the tank shell and the key, mounted on a panel with a hump in it, knob on the left side?
That is the fader to adjust between the front speakers and rear speakers.
If the turning the knob adjusts the volume on the front spreakers it's because you are turning them on and off, or trying to balance between front and rear.
If the rear are not working when you are turning the front up and down, then the rear are not working for some reason.
If you turn it all the way one way the front should not be on or at least very quite, and the rear should be at full volume how ever the radio volume is set.
Why the rear are not working could be several reasons.

The 88 is a great bike! Mine had over 180,000 miles on it when the deer hit me last year and it was still running like a new bike!

If you get her running easy and everything works, you got a pretty good deal.
If you have problems and can't get her running, well I need Phantom Gray parts for my 88 and will buy it from you LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The gas is in the tank, but it may be old. I was told, that it sat since summer. I will put some fresh gas in the tank today.
I will check that knob today again and see what will happen.
I think, that I will need to get someones help to get it on a center stand the first time.
Well, today is going to be a busy day!

P.S. I was dreaming about gold wing for a looong time, so I will do whatever it takes to get it running!)

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Since you appear to be new to owning a 1500, this should help. Since you live in a cold climate, and unsure of strength of battery and such, try this...first slide the choke lever(left handlebar by the radio and turn signal controls) to about 3/4 way down, when you hit your start button, do NOT hold it down continuously, release it every 3 seconds or so...if you have a weaker battery while turning it over it will only release enough voltage to start when u release the start button..it should only take at most 3 or 4 tries doing this and the bike should fire up or at least attempt to start running. Also twisting the throttle once before doing this might help, but only if you do not smell gas or think it may not be getting fuel yet...

If doing it that way and it still wont start, then you will have to start ruling out if it is getting gas/or spark first...and if you havent yet put the battery on a no more than 2 amp charge overnight and make sure the battery is charged that you do have. Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
That's a good suggestion. Sometimes a good fresh set of spark plugs helps too. They seem to get a bit 'fouly' from several restarts without riding combined with infrequent use and cold weather.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Another tip about starting the Goldwing... do not turn the throttle any when cranking it. If you open the throttle it will lean out the mixture and make for hard to start or no start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I washed my GL1500 today and put some wax on it. Looks great!
I found out, that I DO have speakers in the back, but I still couldn't make them work.
Also I was trying to use the tune switch for the radio on the left handlebar to change the station, but for some reason the mute button works, while the tune one doesn't, maybe I am doing smth wrong?
And the last is, that when I accidentally pushed the emergency lights button, I couldn't get it turn off, it got stuck in there. What should I do?
I didn't have an opportunity to jump start it though yet.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Those switches getting stuck or not working properly is a common problem. Just need to spray some contact cleaner in beside the switches while operating them. It might take a lot of cleaner to get it working or it may be necessary to take the switch housing apart to get better access to where you need to clean. Here is a link relating to your problem. You can find many more by doing a search.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...395198-gl1500-mute-switch-stuck-position.html

·
killer driller
781 Posts
There is a video on here showing you how to put the bike on the center stand with little effort,and it works

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you! I had such ideas in my mind. I will get that contact cleaner tomorrow!
I tried to put it on its center stand, but I am probably not strong enough to do that. It was fairly easy with my old 1995 Yamaha XV750, but with a gold wing...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.