Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello this is my first posting i have a 98 1500 aspencade. This just started happening a few days ago, when i try to start the bike i have to push the start switch a couple of times then it starts can i spray contact cleaner in there maybe the contacts are dirty thanks.....:)

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum! You might have problems in many other area's, not just your start button.

You have to rule out things like loose or dirty connections on your starter, starter solonoid, relay etc. Clean battery connections. If your relay does not get proper voltage it simply will not pass it along.

You can spray contact cleaner into the button, but dont over do it as that stuff can melt some kinds of plastic.

Mine will not be your only reply, Others will be here soon with different ideas!

keep us posted!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply, the battery is good and the connections are clean. is the starter selinoid and the relayhard to get to.:)

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Not too sure on your bike but Im guessing you have a fair jag of tupperware on that wing, Some of it will have to come off. I think that the relay would be located on the left side of the bike as your sitting on it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dummy me i have a clymer repair manual i'll take a look at it thanks by the way my name is Dennis and this is my first goldwing i had 7 other bikes in the past nothing like a wing my wife loves it too i'll try to send some pics of it for all to see thanks....

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Dennis post your location in your profile maybe some one lives close to you and can stop by and give you a hand with that two heads are better than one, buy the way my name is Dennis also,Dennis...not Dennis also

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

When you push the starter button does it crank but just not start up? Or does nothing happen until you push the starter button a couple times?
Also where are you located? I know that when it gets cold here, I have to put the choke on almost full and then crank the gas a couple times especially if it sat for a little while.
Lastly does it only fire when you release the button? What I mean is that if your battery is low on power, the bike will crank while the button is pushed but won't catch until the starter button is released istead of the bike starting while holding the button and then releasing it(I hope that makes sense).
The battery can test good while it is sitting there but fail under a load such as cranking the starter and that could cause starting problems...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Let me see if i can explain when i push the button the light goes off nothing i do this a coupel of times then i finally starts its like the switch is not making contact i took the bat to autozone they tested it it had 13 amps maybe i'm missing somthing.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

The headlight should go out as you hit the crank button. It's made that way to deliver max power to the starter & coils so that part is working well. You might even have weak brushes in your starter. Does it crank fast & start quick when it does roll over?

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

You could try a squirt of WD-40 into your start button, It wont hurt anything & will displace moisture!

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I still think that other area's could be the issue, but you cant rule out the start button as it is one of the several connecting points of the current travel.

I think you would be o.k. using contact cleaner, but wd-40 wouldn't hurt your switch.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Hey coolgto67. I'd suggest that when you spray the juice in there you push the button at the same time. Many times that will break crud loose, by squirting and manipulating the switch simultaneously. But I'd unhook the battery first because if you have anything flammable and you introduce a spark.......

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I have a 94 SE, it started to crank, then stopped,and hasn't turned over since. All dash lights work, it just clicks. I changed both solenoids, no help. Could the starter have locked up? I haven't tried to push start it.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

hi

welcome on board.

try testing your solenoid to see if it is passing voltage through it when starting.

ie the starter motor side.

also make sure ground is good and terminal all tight.

if it is looks like your starter motor has failed.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Attach a jump lead to the battery + positive post, and tip it to the starter motor connection. If the motor spins over you will know it is good and the problem is somewhere else, like the solenoid.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

hurtyougringo wrote:
I have a 94 SE, it started to crank, then stopped,and hasn't turned over since. All dash lights work, it just clicks. I changed both solenoids, no help. Could the starter have locked up? I haven't tried to push start it.
Pull your plugs & see if you have a cylinder full of fuel before you try to push start the bike. If one carb floods into a cylinder, you will get hydro lock!
With the plugs out, try cranking it over with the starter.
Hatch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.