Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

I think it will be just fine after you finish cleaning it up.
Just make sure he runs Sea Foam in the oil and gas for a while.

The first 100 miles of Sea Foam in the oil, I would drain it and refill and new filter.

do that again until the oil drains out clean. Then just ride it and enjoy the thing. It will run a long time yet.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Jim, I see that you are still hard at it. Interesting find--by someone--

Folks, I want to tell you that Jim is by far the most knowledgeable Goldwing man that I know, and a well and trusted caregiver to the vast majority of Wings in our area. He is very busy most of the time but could be/should be the gurus GURU on this forum. But that is, of course, his choice.

He has helped memany a time, and I am proud to call him a friend.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

:)This rebuild is well interesting if a poorly maintained wing can reach 300 000 mile.Then hopefully mine should last till oil runs out:dude:eek:r £10 per litre:shock:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

Update on smoking Gl1500...........I was able to save,restore and reuse 11 valves. I have one exhaust valve on order to replace the broken one from the #1 cylinder. The heads have been cleaned up and the valves have been lapped in and so far I havent run into any major problems. Parts on order cost $440.00 ....thats head gaskets, valve seals, valve etc. One picture shows a hint ofhow to keep head bolts, cam bolts etc in order.......hopefully the smoking problem will be elininated or at least reduced. Will update further as the job progresses.....Gm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

I have been working on a high mileage 1994 GL1500 that I described in previous posts as smoking like a woodstove.(Nov23) Pictures posted initially showed the mess the heads and valves were in as well as a burnt exhaust valve. I wondered how far a properly maintained engine would go if this one had covered 300,000 miles. Todays pictures show the valves, valve seals, spring seats, springs, retainers and keepers being installed along with pictures of the heads ready to re-install. As I mentioned in the original posts the owner wants this done as cheap as possible but so far the parts have cost $450.00. I willupdate the progress of the project as I proceed........GM

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

just a quick quistion--- how do the cylinders look? can you still see any hash marks on the walls?

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

I merged the 2nd thread into this thread so it will all be in one thread. Splitting threads on a rebuild makes it darn near impossible to follow along.

I also modified the title to make it clear that this is a high mileage bike, there is a lot of interest in how many miles our bikes can go. And this one will be another notch in proving that these engines are tough in spite of bad treatment.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

thanks az 1500
just reread the hole thing again. so my question has already been answered .
now with biggie question-- how many will she go?

·
Administrator
57,435 Posts
imported post

I'm betting it has another 100,000 or 200,000 miles left in it.

Just takes some half decent maintenance to keep these things running, and running, and ...................

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1:I`m inclind to go a long with that:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I'm betting it has another 100,000 or 200,000 miles left in it.
Just takes some half decent maintenance to keep these things running, and running, and ...................
These engines should go quite a ways if they are taken care of. I don't have any experience on the motorcycle side of things, but I've (my sister included) have had a couple of Mazdas and Toyotas that went well in the 200's (my sister's Tercel @345) without any major maintenance done. They were in need, but those were engines of comparable size andpulling a few thousand pounds more through those miles.

With that said, these engines really don't have a workload to them (when comparing the same CC's to cars), they should go quite a ways if used and taken care of.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I don't have any experience with rebuilding wings, but I can give you a heads up on my experience doing a valve job on a 1963 Ford Thunderbird with a 390. The car ran great, but it smoked. Compression was reasonable and the assumption was that the valve job would fix it right up. So I did the valve job. It cleared up the smoking and improved compression too. What a deal. About three hundred miles down the road it blew a rod. No warning, or should I say about 10 seconds warning. I heard a faint ticking sound, as I turned the radio down to hear it better it got progressivly louder real fast. I reached for the key and it blew before I could shut it off. I will say that I was on the German Autobahn at the time and probably driving around 100 mph but I did that every day over there. My only explanation is that the engine had been wearing evenly and so the worn rod bearings were working perfectly with the lowered compression. Once the compression was raised closer to original specs the worn rod bearings could no longer hold the load. Not trying to rain on anyones parade, but thought it might not hurt to think about this possability. I am interested to see how far these things will go too, so please keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

There was a post here a couple of years ago linking to an ebay auction of a mid 90's 1500 with over 500,000 miles (not km) on the odometer.
Seller said it ran OK.

John

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Quick question, kinda related. just bought a 96 1500SE and have NO goldwing tech experience. Been Harley on my life and finally got a GREAT bike. How many years up and down from my 96 will parts interchange, both body parts and engine parts? thanks Ed

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Great update,glad to hear the repair is coming along good and anxiously awaiting the outcome.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.