Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Ed, it depends on what parts you are talking about. While some parts will fit any year, Honda did make changes and improvements over the years.

John

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
There was a post here a couple of years ago linking to an ebay auction of a mid 90's 1500 with over 500,000 miles (not km) on the odometer.
Seller said it ran OK.

John
It was either 2008 or early 2009 when I saw that. It was a 1996 with 514K on it...that wing sold for around $4,900.00:action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I just pulled a customers workorder from my files and it has 563,990 km on the clock. Serviced every 5,000 etc . Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Hey Tony, 563,900 KM converts to approximately 352,500 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Ripper wrote:
Hey Tony, 563,900 KM converts to approximately 352,500 miles.
Thats correct. Just broken in.:action::action:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
imported post

I suppose that this might seem repetitive and boring to those members who do a lot of this type of work but perhaps it will assist someone who does not. The following pictures show what I completed this afternoonn and I will briefly explain that.......cylinder heads were installed after cleaning both mating surfaces (head and block) new head gaskets and made sure to replace the coolant tube O ring. Cleaned and greased the threads and under the head of the cylinder head bolts. Torqued the head bolts in a crisscross manner in several stages (33'lbs) Dont forget the small 6mm bolt under the head. I tightened that to 10.5 nm. Coated the cam lobes, journals ,bearing surfaces with assembly lube. Honda suggests using Moly60 paste . It is expensive but a small tube will go a long way. Installed the cam, new cam seal,and cam holder and torque bolts in the same crisscross manner to 20nm. Installed the timing belt pulleys and timing belts.Made certain timing marks were correct. Turned the engine over by hand with the crank bolt several times to make sure there is no binding. Rechecked the timing marks several times. Then I hit the kill switch and turned the engine over with the starter. All okay. When I get back at it I will finish hooking up the intake and exhaust. Then a new oil filter,oil and coolant. Then start it. I expect it to smoke with the first start up form the residue fluids. They always do after this type of repair. Subsequent starts will tell if there was any improvement..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Great Pictures and detailed information. Thank you for sharing, very important to torque headbolts in staggered sequence.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's a 1500 not too far away from where I live with amost 400,000 miles on the odometer. The only non-routine engine work it has had so far was a clutch a hundred thousand miles ago or so. There was also a 1500 on eBay last summer with 515,000 miles on it that was claimed to run okay. Just shows what you can do with plenty of displacement, detuning, water cooling and a slow turning engine.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Good job! perhaps too Moly, careful with the clutch ..
That valve was burned because it was poorly regulated, for no other reason ..

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
imported post

Yesterday I finished putting bike back together enough to start it. It fired right up ..had a lot of tappet noise for about a minute or so and then it stopped after they pumped up.........initially there was no smoke at all. After a few minutes I observed smoke coming evenly from each exhaust. I expected that to happen so I wasnt worried. (residue) I let it idle for a long time until the fans came on while I was purging air form the rad. I snapped the throttle several times while it was heating and the smoke began to subside until there was almost none. The engine sounds good except for an exhaust leak between the left header pipe and the muffler. At that point I quit...... This morning I went out at 7am and started it again ( temp was 0 cel (32 Far) It was parked on the center stand...no smoke at all... previously it would fill the garage and yard with clouds. I let it run for about five minutes. Tonight I will park it on the sidestand and see if it smokes tomorrow. I dont care about a little smoke on startup since most wings do that anyway. Now what it needs is a good long drive and then another oil change before it is put away for the winter. The weather will determine whether it gets driven or not. (Cant work on it today ,have to go for my swine flu shot) At this point I am satisfied with the outcome but I will have to see how it works on the road and with subsequent starts. Our season is pretty much over now so I dont know if or how much it will be driven. I think there is some life left in it yet..... I will postagain when it is all back together and tested further................ Thanks to all for your interest in this project and I hope that the info may help someone else in the future........... GM

41 - 60 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.