Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My flasher switch is stuck in the on position so I can't use turn signals. I have sprayed with WD40, but it won't pop out. To remove the pod it is in do you have to remove grip or can it be removed or repaired in place? I have not been able to find a blowup to see how it comes apart. HELP!!!
Thanks for any info on this.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Get some spray Electric contact cleaner and spray in the switches, All your switches.

There are 2 or 3 screws under the switch to take it apart.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

rockyfit wrote:
My flasher switch is stuck in the on position so I can't use turn signals. I have sprayed with WD40, but it won't pop out. To remove the pod it is in do you have to remove grip or can it be removed or repaired in place? I have not been able to find a blowup to see how it comes apart. HELP!!!
Thanks for any info on this.
> You'll have to open the Housing, in order to access the Hazard Switch... but you typically do not have to disassemble the Hazard Switch to clean it.

Steps:
1) Remove 2 screws, from bottom of Housing
2) Lift the top half of the Housing up, then rotate it forward about 45-degrees until you can view the Hazard Switch.
3) Using a spray can of Electrical Cleaner, having a Spray Tube... liberally spray the underside of the Hazard Switch to flush out the insides. Operate the switch on/off several times in order to assist in the flush.
4) If necessary, you can Open the swtich to better access it... I do NOT suggest that though, as it has some very tiny parts that are easily lost, and difficult to re-install.
5) Return the top half of the housing to the closed position, atop the bottom.
6) Re-install the 2 screws.

Hint: While you have it opened-up, do the same spray/flush operation on all the other switches too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum too!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote
You'll have to open the Housing, in order to access the Hazard Switch... but you typically do not have to disassemble the Hazard Switch to clean it.

Steps:
1) Remove 2 screws, from bottom of Housing
2) Lift the top half of the Housing up, then rotate it forward about 45-degrees until you can view the Hazard Switch.
3) Using a spray can of Electrical Cleaner, having a Spray Tube... liberally spray the underside of the Hazard Switch to flush out the insides. Operate the switch on/off several times in order to assist in the flush.
4) If necessary, you can Open the swtich to better access it... I do NOT suggest that though, as it has some very tiny parts that are easily lost, and difficult to re-install.
5) Return the top half of the housing to the closed position, atop the bottom.
6) Re-install the 2 screws.

Hint: While you have it opened-up, do the same spray/flush operation on all the other switches too.
You saved me a headache, Alex. My switch stuck this morning, 35 degrees, windy, typically when trouble occurs. I was hesitant to pull it apart, figuring that I would have springs flying all over, but in about 5 minutes, everything is working again. :waving:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I have used the Radio Shack electrical Cleaner it cleans and lubricates at the same time. Be sure to cover up your paint if you use it you do not want any to drip on it. It is best to use the Spray Tube and wrap the switch with a rag when you spray it to catch the over spray.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue with mine as well as the radio mute switch and cruise on/off switch. Through the forum I learned to use the Radio Shack radio tuner cleaner. I would also add that a can of compressed air between applications seemed to help. This is an issue in many bikes with years on them. I will also mention that it took several applications and quite possibly hundreds of presses on some of those switches before the switch released once and I was pressing so fast I felt it at first more than I saw it. It actually stuck in the in position again and took many more presses before slowly but surely it came back. Keep applying the cleaner and working it in. Also remember to use the same cleaner a couple times a year on these switches and any other electrical switch such as the high beam/low beam switch in order to keep them from getting stuck. Having that flasher switch stick on can be a pain if you have a ways to travel.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,791 Posts
imported post

This is not a permanent fix but a quick solution for a stuck push in switch. Use a hair dryer to warm up the switch and it will operate for a short time. Good enough for an emergency fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.