Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 GL1500 that runs great but after running the clutch will not dissengage. When I start it up out of gear. Starts fine and then I put into gear and let clutch out and take off fine. and Run down the road. When I stop and try to put into nuterel, It will not go into it. I have to shut off and then put into nuteral. Then start off as usual. It shifts through the gears fine when going down the road.:sadguy:

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Flush the clutch fluid, and the brake fluid while you are at it.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
What oil do you use?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased recently and the previous owner was using formula Shell 5w20 Synthetic. By the way thanks for responding

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some one has suggested that when I flush I should loosen the upper banjo bolt and bleed there first and then flush the rest of the system. What do you think of that? I thought I would try that today.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ihave flushed the clutch many time with no effect on action.
Are you loosing fluid in the clutch master cylinder?
Has the bike had a long period of sitting unused? Or longer than 2 years of fluid (dot4) replacement /flush? Did you suck out the old fluid from the master cylinders and clean out reservoirs before flushings with fresh dot4?
If you are loosing fluid and having to top off the master cylinder, or it has had periods of more than 2 years between flushings, or used open can of dot4 brake fluid (brake fluid attracts moisture and you need to use unopened cans, not old that you have had sitting on the shelf a while), then the slave cylinder will need rebuilding as gunk is built up in the o-ring groove and flushing will not clean it out and probably the master cylinder too..

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the quick responses and the suggestions everyone.
1. When I flushed originally I did not vacuum the old fluid out I used a rag and soaked it out of master cylinder. Then I put new (one month old) Dot 4 in resevoir. And flushed until no bubbles were in line. Then I flushed until resevoir was nearly empty and filled again and flushed one more time..
2. The bike had sat for at least a year.
3. There are no leaks that I can see, nothing on floor from brake system

Your suggestion on gunk build up may be correct. Will try reflush again with new Dot 4 oil and also bleed with top banjo bolt loose first.
Thanks all will get back later with results.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
It's a good idea if there's air in the system. However then your lever would be spongy...and you just told me it wasn't. Check to make sure the brass clutch lever bushing is intact and not extremely wore.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I agree with newday. Sounds like the piston in the slave cylinder is not moving freely. Pull the slave and rebuild it. Might want to rebuild the master too, if the slave is gunked up, the master is probably not much better. Good luck

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
I purchased recently and the previous owner was using formula Shell 5w20 Synthetic. By the way thanks for responding
\
Get that out of there and go with either Rotella T6 or Delo400, most 1500 owners like the delo.

No it does not feel spongy, and when released is strong
Then it is well bled, if it was spongy then you would have air in it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
There have been a couple of posts that sound like yours.
In those occasions it was found that the clutch oil pump intake was plugged which flooded the clutch with oil causing the dragging clutch.

I'm not saying that's the case here but it is something to look at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.