Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm a new member from Waterloo, IA and have a question on how to install a factory Hondaline CB into my 1993 Aspencade. I have the Transceiver, ptt switches front and back, and the three noise filters required. I unfortunately don't have the harness that goes from the cb transceiver to the wing. I have read that a audio harness from a honda civic will fit, but have no idea on what wires to hook them up to on the bikes harness. Do i need two of these honda civic wire harnesses(one for the cb side-one for the bike harness side)? Then connect the two together. Or do i have to splice into the honda civic harness into the bikes existing harness somewhere? I am confused and don't want to burn anything up if i connect wires improperly. Thanks, Wingy:?

·
Honda Guru
2,079 Posts
imported post

If memory serves me the harness connects from the back of the CB unit to the radio plugs at the front of the radio. You have to remove the radio shelter... you'll see the radio wires and the antenna lead attached at the front. The blank connectors are where the CB terminals fit.

I've heard the same thing about the Civic harness but don't know what part number works for the 1500.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

Yes you need a ground from the CB. Normally one is attached to one of the mounting screws and then run to one of the mounting screws for the stereo. As far as the wiring harness, yes you need 2 of the adapters but just attach 2 together will not be long enough. You will need extra wire in between. Right at the top of this page, you will see the connector. Then you have to get a copy of the pinout to connect it properly. Let me do some digging and see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks PWHOEVER, that pinout would help greatly. Another question- I have another radio antenna mount, would that work for the cb antenna on the other side of the bike? I have a 3' standard cb antenna from radio shack that could be threaded to fit this mounting piece. Do you think this would function properly?

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

The link on the Goldwing Facts page is a dead link. As far as adding a CB antenna using a radio mount instead of a CB mount, I would have to say probably not. The coax cable for radios is slightly different and I think you will have problems with SWR. And the kit comes with a grounding plate along with the proper CB antenna cable to attach to the CB radio. Years ago I made the mistake of just buying the antenna and picking up a AM/FM antenna extension cable to attach the antenna to the radio. The reception and transmission was horrible and the SWR's were lousy. I finally bought the proper Honda CB Antenna extension cable and all was better. One tip that I did was along with the grounding plate in the trunk, I added a braided automotive grounding strap and attached it to the bottom mount of the CB antenna mount and then to a bolt on the frame. It seems like the grounding plate alone isn't enough. It would be best to by the antenna kit which is available several places including http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=270or http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/searchresults?s=ANtenna&ss=ANtenna&n=3987

As far as the pinouts for the CB to AM/FM radio, these are pinout from 19-27. The one you need to pay attention to is the SE as it has 3 sets of connectors. They are not in order on the connector so also pay attention to their locations. Also, to determine the proper pin#'s, hold the connector in your hand with the wiring away from you looking into the connector where the pins go.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

One other thing I just noticed, the connector for attaching to the AM/FM radio is only a 12 pin connector so that connector listed is wrong. It is correct for the CB but not the AM/FM radio. You may have to take the AM/FM radio up to a stereo place and try to find one that fits. Even though the connector on the CB has 15 live pins, only 9 of them need to be attached to the radio. I just realized that , I think, the other 6 need to be attached to a 6 pin connector that connects to the bike's wiring harness. I will see if I can find that info for you. I must have forgot about that. I no longer have mine so I am trying to go by memory. Once again, let me get back to you on that. It is so much easier if you had the actual harness but they are expensive and hard to come by.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

Ok, here is a picture of the Aspencade CB Harness

IIRC, that extra piece sticking out near the rubber plug on the bottom left is a square brown 4 pin connector. From what I can see, (but don't quote me on it) pins 13,14, and 15 don't even come into play for the Aspencade on the Aspencade harness. Pins 10,11, and 12 are part of that square brown connector and matches up with a plug in the same area as where the CB gets mounted. It looks like you can probably get a connector here: http://electricalconnection.com/electrical-components/hitachi.htmI am not positive that this is the exact connector but it will come as a set and you could change out the one on the factory harness if you had to and it should work.

Its possible that 13,14,and 15 may actually connect to the 3 blank pinouts on the AM/FM radio and the wiring diagram just doesn't show it. You may have to use a meter and if there are pins there, test them to see if they match up.

Good luck with this and if you are successful, maybe you can give part #'s that you used and verify the actual wiring. I think I have gone as far as I can. Possibly someone else will come along and add to what I have already told you.

If it were me though, I would just try and hunt down one of the wiring harnesses. I know it will cost you but will be way easier than trying to do this.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

What's weird is if I click on the "here" on the Tips page under CB radio fitting, it directs me to http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/Cbradiofitting.htm which doesn't work. However if I remove the forums part of the web address it works fine. So Zeke66, using the web address you provided works fine.

Just out of curiosity, does that wiring scheme actually work? The factory wiring harness uses 15 of the 16 pins in use but that diagram only shows 6 pins in use. I don't see how the audio could be heard. There doesn't seem to be any audio connection to the AM/FM radio or even audio to the headsets. The only connection to the radio is #9(+ using ignition on or ACC) #18(Back up +) and 19(Mute) Also it doesn't provide terminal #'s for the connector for the CB.

·
Honda Guru
2,079 Posts
imported post

pwhoever... if you take 'forums' out of the link it'll work. At least it worked for me too.

That is a GREAT page... it looks like it's out of the service manual but what year manual is it? I've got almost all the SM's for the 1500's but don't recall seeing that.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

I guess I should have looked at the circuit diagrambefore trying my earlier response. FWIW, I will give you the exact pin outs as they relate to the CB and the AM/FM radio. I know that the connector that matches up with the CB has already been identified. However some creative soul will have to identify the 12 pin connector that goes to the AM/FM side. Also IIRC a6 pin brown connector is needed but I can't remember if it is a male or female. It should mate with a connector under the left fairing pocket. This in turn should connect to the wires on the Aspencade that are hidden in the left handlebar cover half way up along with Back up + and the starter reverse switch. The Hondaline CB switch has 4 plugs that will plug into the wires hidden in the left handlebar cover. I will just list the pinouts from the CB to the Radio by number and wire color. Up above diagrams will tell you what they are. The first 9 terminals go to the 12 pin connector that plugs into the AM/FM. The last 6 should go to the brown 6 pin connector. I can only give you the wire colors and you will have to figure out the actual terminals on your own.

CBRadio(16 Pin) AM/FM Radio(12 Pin)

Pin # 1 (Sealed Wire) Pin # 27

2(White/Black) 26

3(Yellow) 25

4(Brown) 24

5(Green/Black) 23

6(Red/Blue) 22

7(Black) 21

8(Pink) 20

9(Blue) 19

6 Pin Connector

10( White) Talk

11(Orange)Channel Up

12(Grey)Channel Up Down Control

13(Light Green/Black) + Ignition On or ACC

14(Red/Yellow)Back Up +

15(Yellow/Red) Starter Reverse Switch

You will probably have to expose the wires in the back of the mating connector to find out what color wires match up to which terminals. Lastly,a ground wire needs to be run from one of the screws on the CB to a ground somewhere. On the Hondaline harness, it uses one of the AM/FM mounting screws.

I know that this would save a ton of money over trying to buy the Hondaline harness but I personally think that I would rather purchase the factory harness for whatever price I could rather than to screw around trying to 1) get all the connectors and colored wires, and 2) assemble it all.

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
imported post

I can't help you with the part number but I can tell you that the harness was not available by itself. It only came with the Hondaline CB kit which is no longer being made. The harness does show up from time to time on Ebay but be prepared to shell out some serious cash for it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.