Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the 1500 and not certain if this is normal or no. My bike has the idle stumble issue (read lots about it...will be performing the arcane rituals to resolve in the off season). It also only seems to have two modes of travel: not enough power to maintain speed or go like a scalded cat. Maintaining a steady speed at less than 65 mph or so is pretty much impossible. There seems to be a point at which turning the throttle past make the bike take off. Less than that, you slow down. No balance between. If you try to, it surges back and forth between the two. Not sure where to look for this. Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum and your goldwing. I am NOT a guru but I had pretty much the same problem with my 1995 GL1500. I purchased a set of carbs from ebay for about $50.00 and rebuilt them over the winter with a Randakk kit (the best) which included the accelerator pump rebuild and installed them. I also replaced the bad vacuum hoses under the rubber mat under the carbs. Mine runs like a champ now. I don't know if the 1988's are like the 95's but that helped mine.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Some info about bike miles, how long you had it, problem sudden or bike been sitting?
I start all running diagnosis with a look at the spark plugs- probably replacement as they are cheap and already out...use NGK

then Seafoam thru the gas tank at 2 ounces per Gallon of fuel. On a car it takes 20-30 gallons fuel to get a really good job done.
Expect several tanks thru the Wing, but it makes grunge go away and resolves running problems that are not leaky fuel petcock or bad vac lines

Hopefully you can ride your troubles away~

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aloha! I have had the bike for about three weeks now. Bike has 99k miles. The bike had been sitting for about 6-8 months. Not too unusual around here, depending on how long crappy season lasts. Of course, I start my bike periodically during the winter and let it run for a bit. PO probably did not. Have changed oil and plugs. Replaced NGK's with NGK's. Plugs were brown and smelled of gas. That and the gas mileage leads me to think she's running a bit rich. Hmmm...2oz per gallon...I'll have to get some more seafoam. I've run about 6oz through so far (happens to be what I had in the garage at the time).

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Welcome aboard Paul!

You don't have to be so technical about the measuring of the Seafoam.

For the 1500, on a full tank of quality gas, pour in 1/2 can of seafoam. Then go drive that tank empty.

Do that 4 times (2 cans).

You will notice a big difference I am willing to bet. You may want to swap out that fuel filter afterwards too.

However, first you should inspect and replace any damaged or rotted out vacuum hoses from the carbs and engine. Pennies a foot from NAPA and the like.

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tim. I'll do that. It's not the cost of the vacuum lines...it's the dis-assembly to get to them :)i If I get a free rainy weekend I might tear in to them. It's definitely on my to-do list come October.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
MrMagicFingers is wrong on seafoam. I am overly-educated on this product more than the average idiot~

CLEANING dose for problems or new to seafoam on this vehicle = 2 oz per gal
Maintenance dose used mid-year is 1 oz per gal fuel

More than 2 oz per gal does not make it work better or faster, less than 3/4 oz per gal is not enough to make a differance

·
Administrator
57,499 Posts
ditto on what Mr Magic Fingers said.

I bought a '94SE down in Phoenix, AZ when I lived and worked there.
the bike had sat for two years in the 115* summers and the carbs were a royal mess.

I refused to pull them off, I just ran a half can of Sea Foam in every tank of gas for about 3 months before the bike finally started running and idling like it should.

For the idling fix, I just put the bike up on the Center Stand, and left it idling for an hour each evening for about a week.... that sucks the Sea Foam thru the small idle circuits....

once you touch that throttle, the idle circuits are out of the game.

I also had to replace a lot of cracked vacuum lines.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I never had an idling issue with any of my wings so I never had to let it sit running to clean the idle circuits up.

However, every spring I burn off the first tank of gas that has fuel stabilizer in it and then I run 4 tanks with 1/2 a can of sea foam in it.

Now, that's up here north of the 49. We don't use that corn syrup crap in our gas but do lay up our bikes longer for its winter nap than most of you guys.

The cans are 16 oz.

So my formula for spring breakfast for my bike is 6 gal of fresh gas to 8 oz of Seafoam. She (the bike) gets that 4 tanks in a row. The bike is now ready for the year.

That measurement puts it above the 1 oz per gallon and a less than the 2 oz per gallon ratio. At this point I have no need to use it at full strength ratios.

I have never had a carb (on any engine) that would have needed 2oz per gallon. Seafoam is good stuff.

Paul, it would not hurt anything to pour a full can into your tank. That would exceed the high dose recommendation but still not hurt anything. The bike might smoke a little but that's the Seafoam and not the oil. I would pick up 3 cans and do 3 tanks if you were going to do this. Drive it like your stole it. Lots of wrist function back and forth.

I don't like the bike sitting and idling for long long periods of time when there are no issues with idling. I will let my bike idle for 15 min a few times in the first tank or two but that's it, usually as I am getting ready to go.

Seriously though, I would not wait until October to dig into the vacuum tubing.

If you know your going to have rain on a Saturday, get the plastic off you bike Friday evening... it really does not take that long. Remove the top shelter and the sides. Saturday morning remove the air filter and start the bike up.

Use a good carb cleaner and spray the slides as it is running while twisting the throttle back and forth. Watch the sliders move and make sure they are not sticking. Stop the engine and spray as best you can into the area where the slides are covered and let it sit a few min. Start the bike again and give it another spray. Your done with that.

Being that you're already here, remove the breather box and clean it... only a few minutes to do that too. Now you can easily get at all the vacuum lines. Replace what's needed after carefully inspecting the hoses.

Hey... your plugs are staring right at you!!! Might as well check them. They can tell al lot on what going on with your bike. It just takes a few min longer.

You can do a search here in the forums to see the likely culprits.

Please don't wait until October for a few reasons. One, you will miss some QUALITY time riding the bike and will not get the pure enjoyment from cracking the throttle and feeling the response of a clean and working fuel system.

Second... safety. Sometime a laggy throttle response can get you into trouble by not getting you out of an unsafe situation when you "need it now" or that it acts erratic in a well leaned over turns or in traffic.

We want to see you... all of you new guys and gals have a safe, working bikes and up the "more smiles per miles" ratio!

Drive safe and enjoy.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Paul, here are some Vac Hose pic I wanted to upload earlier. Some ideas and things to look out for.

You don't have to purchase Honda preformed hoses with the blood of your first born.

Tim

Attachments

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Its fine to use 1 oz per gal over a longer period if thats what you want to do.
Minimum 3/4 oz per gal if you want actual results.

The higher 2 oz dosage works faster and does a really good job on the intake valves and piston tops, making them shiny new again.
It may take 300- 500 miles for total cleaning- for some riders thats a lot of weekends
For others, thats a great weekend!

I throw in about half a can/ 8 oz every month or two depending on how much riding has occurred.
At least 1 oz per gal is my goal for ongoing maintenance. One time mid-year with oil change is probably good for most riders.

I are using the Ca `summer gas` now- with added Oxygen and 10% Ethanol.
Thats a bummer for clean combustion

NOTE: The ONLY time you should get smoke with seafoam is when a large amount is added directly thru a master vac port or the carb throats.
The result is heat in the exhaust reacts with oils that make up seafoam blowing thru it at high speed = MASSIVE SMOKE
Really fun to do with the car because you must to do a blast-out drive after-
Car will billow a smoke screen worthy of James Bond :)

Cleans pistons immediately- the technique is used by mechanics on old dirty engines so you can diagnose the real problem.
Now they use a machine (often filled with seafoam or bg44) hooked into fuel system and charge $150
And by people who dont know better.

Thru the gas tank = it cleans every part of the fuel system and combustion chamber.
If the new Wings have a cat- it cleans that too~

When used in the gas tank there is no good reason for smoke to exit the exhaust!
If it does, there is a major internal problem.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Now, that's up here north of the 49. We don't use that corn syrup crap in our gas......

Tim
Who's this WE white man?:ROFL:
Here all grades except 94 have a little yellow sticker saying "May contain up to 10% ethanol".:surprise:

BTW: 44° 40′ 0″ N is well south of 49°.:grin3:

That said you may have ethanol free regular gas on the East Coast, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Well, I just got edjumakated.

I didn't know that we had any ethanol in our fuel here in Canada. To the best of my knowledge we do not have any of that crap in our fuel in Atlantic Canada.

I have never noticed any stickers on an pumps I have have visited around our stomping grounds.

Awful stuff that ethanol is.

Tim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, I just got edjumakated.

I didn't know that we had any ethanol in our fuel here in Canada. To the best of my knowledge we do not have any of that crap in our fuel in Atlantic Canada.

I have never noticed any stickers on an pumps I have have visited around our stomping grounds.

Awful stuff that ethanol is.

Tim
I can't say for sure, but I'd suggest looking really closely at the pump next time, just in case. My understanding is that only the premium at most stations is ethanol free:
http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
"New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI: all premium grade gasoline" [is ethanol-free]

From this discussion, it sounds like Halifax is like the west coast re ethanol in fuel:
https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/comments/34pss1/ethanol_free_gas/

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
OMG.... I am going to have to check! :surprise:

I really didn't know we had it here and therefor never really looked out for that sticker.

Eyes wide open for next time I fill the car or any of the bikes!!!

Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all very much. Have managed to run a can of seafoam through the bike (two tanks). Will continue. I will also be checking out the vacuum lines.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.