Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just cleaned and rebuilt the carbs as seen from one of my other posts, Bike runs great, pulls hard, no miss, but I have noticed when returning to idle, the twist grip does not fully return and lets the engine revs around 1500rmps. I can pull back on the grip just a tad and the idle drops back to ~800rpms and stays put.

When I put the cables back on the carb, I turned the barrel till the nut was tight. When I took them apart all 3 cables were loose at the carbs...figured this was from the last person that had the carbs off and did a slopy job of reinstalling them?

I have a manual on order with springs and parts to rebuild the front forks (cybermonday sale from bikebandit)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There should be about 1/8-1/4" free play on the throttle grip. If the cables are too snug there will be binding. If the cables are still stiff after setting the correct freeplay it could either be you need new cables or the cable routing is wrong. If the cables are misrouted they are very likely to be stiff and not want to drop back to idle.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Besides having too much tension, there are some other reasons why the cables would stick:

1) No lube on cables... Best to use a Cable Oiler.

2) Rubber Grip is rubbing against switch housing... eg No gap between Rubber Grip and housing; bad installation of a Throttle Lock cruise control device.

3) Throttle Barrel is sticking to handle bar... sometimes happens when gluing-on a rubber grip.

4) Return Springs on carb are dirty... If they gunk up, then they don't pull hard enough to retract the throttle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.