Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any one know of an aftermarket replacement swingarm bearings for 99 GL1500? Would like to get locally if there is some available. Thanks

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
imported post

Why are you replacing them?... are they actually bad?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I haven't torn it apart yet, just been having hi-speed wallows in the corners,75-80 MPH hard sweepers on highways and feeling flexing at parking lot speed turns. Can they be tightened w/o pulling them and checking or should I delay the trip to pull apart?
I just changed the fork oil, already has superbrace, Progressive springs and shocks. I looked at online parts price @ $37 each. Bit steep for bearings. They fit all the years of the 1500. Hoping there are some from All Balls? I haven't seen them yet, so thought I'd throw the ball in the ring.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
I haven't torn it apart yet, just been having hi-speed wallows in the corners,75-80 MPH hard sweepers on highways and feeling flexing at parking lot speed turns. Can they be tightened w/o pulling them and checking or should I delay the trip to pull apart?
I just changed the fork oil, already has superbrace, Progressive springs and shocks. I looked at online parts price @ $37 each. Bit steep for bearings. They fit all the years of the 1500. Hoping there are some from All Balls? I haven't seen them yet, so thought I'd throw the ball in the ring.
> You probably do not need to replace the bearings.

> The hi speed wallows are typical of a a worn suspension, and/or too little pressure on the rear suspension... It will go away completely if you upgrade to progressive shocks on rear, and up the air pressure to 59psi (max).

> You also can tighten the swing arm bearings (if needed), but you'll have to procure a special "castle-shaped socket" (or the Honda Tool) for the lock nut on the left side. You can check if the bearings are loose by putting bike on centerstand, and rocking the swing arm side-to-side, verifying Zero-movement.

ps: You're just 100mi from me... If you want to drop by, I'll show you how to tighten the bearings.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The wallows were with Progressive shocks @60 psi.
Do you have the castle nut socket? I was just up there the other day to Compufire. I would love to come up if you have it. I'll PM my number
Stu

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
ps: You're just 100mi from me... If you want to drop by, I'll show you how to tighten the bearings.
Are you sure that's possible as it looks like the 99 GL1500 uses needle bearings in the swingarm? They would be good or bad but no way to preload them like a tapered bearing.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote
Are you sure that's possible as it looks like the 99 GL1500 uses needle bearings in the swingarm? They would be good or bad but no way to preload them like a tapered bearing.
> They all have tapered bearings... just like the kind you'd typically see used for the wheels on a car.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
...Do you have the castle nut socket? I was just up there the other day to Compufire. I would love to come up if you have it. I'll PM my number...
> Yes have the socket.
> First do the Manual Check mentioned, for side-to-side movement of the swing arm, while up on the centerstand, verifying zero slack.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

They don't normally wear out because there isn't much movement, so yours may only need adjusting. I would try that first before tearing into replacement, which is a big job.

This picture shows the bearing part number on a 1991.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Will do this morning

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Dave, I saw it the other night

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

OK checked swingarm for movement, none.
Check front end, movement in the head bearings. That's where it is.
Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.