Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time owner here. I was directed to this site by Goldwingdocs.com looking for a video showing how to access the air filter on a GL1500. The link no longer works. Can anyone point me to it? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800
13 Posts
Search Youtube for Clifford Rice's video on how to change the air filter on GL1500. It's pretty simple...nothing like an 1800!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
I did it in the dark with a tiny little flash light back a few years ago, so it can't be all that hard.

Didn't have any choice, I took a wrong turn, or the kindly sheriff's officer told me wrong? looking for a camping site.
anyway, traveling 50 mph on a paved road that just ended, no signs, just no pavement and powdered fine blow sand....
I was unaware that my bike had a K&N filter and the guy could not get the top on without throwing the bottom gasket away.... who needs a gasket on the bottom side of an air cleaner box anyway? right?

uh, that allowed air to bypass that premium piece of crap K&N, it was useless.

carbs filled up with flour power and the bike stopped.

pulled the shelter and air cleaner off and used some spray cleaner to wash the flour power out of the slides....
put it back together and was very careful to stay on pavement until I could get the Honda OEM air filer installed with the proper gaskets.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
John, I remember your post back when that happened....!
that definitely was not fun.
I was to meet my son from California that evening AT the camp site....

Fortunately, I was able to crawl the bike into Parker, AZ and find a hotel to Camp at....

He was riding his Yamaha FJR and bringing his nephew with him..... how he heard his cellphone ring on that bike, I do not know, but I was able to call him........... took a while, but he called me back....
met me at the hotel, saw what was needed, and then he started looking for an all night parts store, He ended up in Havasu, AZ and brought back the carb cleaner in a spray can........

that is when we washed those slides down until finally all of the grit was gone.
it was not a fun night...... I had no clue how to get that shelter apart, and I woke up my mechanic back in Tempe, AZ at 11 pm asking him what to do...... I was sure happy he answered his phone that night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts