Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to how many members adjust the air/fuel mixture after initial static bench setting? And if so what tool do you use?

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
I would leave it alone until after I got the engine running and see what the spark plugs look like.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
On the 88 model you use a VERY LONG, SKINNY, STRAIGHT BLADE SCREWDRIVER. When I rebuilt the carbs I removed the EPA caps and left them off. For my bike I used the 'initial setting' in the manual and then test rode the bike for about 10 miles, then reset the screws. I believe they ended up about 1/2 turn out from initial setting…. but that was a while ago. Meaning that I didn't make notes and each bike is different so it has to be readjusted after you get the bike started.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Just shy of highest RPM and smoothest idle, you would rather be a little lean for emissions and economy.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Here is how I adjusted mine:
First buy an endoscope on e-bay. Mine cost $15 including postage.

Then tape it to a hanger wire and stick it into the front of the bike. Now you can see where that long thin screw driver is going..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response. Actually I found an inexpensive set of 96' carbs that I rebuilt for the 88'. I only have sight in one eye and trying to see into the area even with lights I can't see what I'm doing. so thought about epoxying a piece of cable on the A/F screw set. Well good idea. While searching for info I could use I found this site: www.glensvtxgarage.com and what I found was what I thought was a great idea. Permanent A/F adjuster. I emailed Glen and he volunteered to make me a set for the GW that had 12" extensions. The extensions allow the turn knobs to reach through the space between the radiators and these really make fine tuning easy. Glen ordered the exact screw sets from Honda and mailed to me. They are more expensive than your solutions but for me they are great. See photos below:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Now that is a cool idea!!
Clean looking set of carbs too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.