Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed new front tyre and new metal valve and after checking the pressure the next day I noticed it was low by about 10psi. I sprayed soapy water on the valve and sure enough there's tiny air bubbles seeping out from just under the valve base. Any ideas whats causing this?

MW

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Try tightening the nut on the new valve stem. If that doesn't do it, you will have to break it back down and see what is wrong.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just installed new front tyre and new metal valve and after checking the pressure the next day I noticed it was low by about 10psi. I sprayed soapy water on the valve and sure enough there's tiny air bubbles seeping out from just under the valve base. Any ideas whats causing this?

MW
I am not sure if it is a common issue but, on my bike the front valve stem has been replaced with a metal one by the PO, and some epoxy glue has been used there.

I suspected a serious problem first, and checked the inside when replacing the tire, luckily there was nothing wrong there.

I think, there was a similar problem, and PO used epoxy to seal it.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my way into work this morning, I brought the wheel to a different garage and they immediately noticed that the valve isn't in straight .Its offset slightly to one side which is why the bubbles were only on one side. I hadn't checked this when it was being installed the first time .I left the wheel with them to sort it out and will pick it up on my way home .

MW

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
On my way into work this morning, I brought the wheel to a different garage and they immediately noticed that the valve isn't in straight .Its offset slightly to one side which is why the bubbles were only on one side. I hadn't checked this when it was being installed the first time .I left the wheel with them to sort it out and will pick it up on my way home .

MW
I changed my valves to metal ones a few years ago to the ones shown in the picture. I still use the original valve holder (Honda part number 42753-MN5-000) just to be sure the centrifugal force when riding does not put any strain on the valve's seal. The old rubber ones obviously needed support to stop them trying to move when the wheel is spinning.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.