Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Folks my bike has been running a bit rough since it had the cambelt changed. I suspect an air leak. ANyone done the cambelt change and can tell me which parts of the induction system are disturbed so I can look there first for the leak??

Cheers

Chris

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Chris, I don't know of any intake components involved in changing the belts. The only thing I saw on my bike was the air duct that goes over the front of the belt cover and that's not involved with the carbs or air intake. Is there any chance you might have one of the belts a tooth or two off? The only other thing I can think of in that area are the pulser coils which are mounted next to the crankshaft timing wheel. If it's an air leak I would expect it to be worse at lower rpms than at the higher end. If ignition such as a pulser coil it should be worse at high rpm.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Exavid, good points

Chris, is the idle quality the issue ?

The tangle of vacuum lines do cause problems as they get older and more brittle. You can check for air leaks by removing as much plastic as you can and spraying carb cleaner at the suspected hoses, flanges, leaks and listen for an idle speed/quality, you just found the leak.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I can't see how vacuum lines would get disturbed when doing the T belts on a gl1500. I would expect to be able to hear a vacuum leak as well. FYI, there was a problem on the gl1500s with a vacuum plastic connection under the left lower fairing panel cracking. Might be worth lookg at this.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

It is definately worse at the low end. The engine "fluffs" when blipping the throttle and is a bit difficult to drive in traffic. On the open road it runs like a turbine and is smooth and pretty powerful. I doubt it is a cog or two off as it was done by a honda dealer here in north houston. I know and trust the prior owner and he says it did not happen until the dealer changed the belt and serviced it. he was meaning to take it back but did not get round to it.

I do want to get it fixed as the problem is undermining my enjoyment of the bike. WIll see over hte next couple hundred miles and maybe take it in when this storm passes

Chris

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If it happened after "service" I'd definately suspect something (a vacuum line) was overlooked while reassembling.

Doing the belts does not require any vacuum lines to be removed.

If you get the chance idle the bike for 5 minutes or so and then pull a couple of plugs and see what they look like. Make sure you pull the middle plug on the right bank. That plug has a vacuum line that goes to the petcock that has been a noted trouble spot.

Does the bike smell of fuel when parked after a ride. open the fuel filler door and see if it's "Very Noticeable".

If none of these apply, time to do the search with carb cleaner to see if you can find the leak. It really sounds like a vacuum leak.

What year is the bike.

I suppose there could always be a problem with the "decel air shot system" but they are pretty reliable. By the way that's what the reed valve asemblies and a couple of solenoids and about 2/3's of the vacuum lines are for.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

I was wondering if you ever found the problem ?? I went out last weekend and blew the carbon out a little (about 85mph for a mile or so) andthenI developed amiss. When I got home I changed the plugs (they looked OK, a little sooty) but it made no difference. Last night I pulled most of the covers off and the air cleaner. Squirted a little carb cleaner down the throats and then a little spray silicone on the slides. No difference with that. Used a propane torch (not lit) and covered all the vacuum lines I could reach. No difference with that. The miss seems a continue thru the rpm range with a slow accleration rate and no load but when riding the bike there is plenty of power when accelerating. I can hear this miss at no load at any speed but not when accelerating. Any ideas??????

Russell

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

like everyone says here, it could be the carbs, when i got my bike from the po, it ran like sh%$t , he said he had the carbs serviced so i took it back to the dealer and they did them again, wow what a difference. how many miles on it and what year

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

It is a 1990 with 43000 miles. What baffles me is it started suddenly after a high speed run. I am a daily rider, about 50 miles a day, with city and country roads. Almost seems electronic, and I don't know about the 1500 electronic carb controls. Thanks,

Russell

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

....could be another issue....but 2 come to mind...a belt tensioner has slipped away or you have a naughty pickup and / or its wire was disturbed or damaged enough to give you an unhappy camper running bike!!. ...
.....whops never mind!!...re-read original topic.....but good for the above blog!!...

check for a cog out one tooth.....who did the work??....if a shop... bring it back and demand that it be done right!!...its easy to get 1 tooth out...usually run it around a full cycle with a wrench and check the occurances when they come around..usually its more obvious to see the missalignment then.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

chrisjones3 wrote:
......... I doubt it is a cog or two off as it was done by a honda dealer here in north houston.................................
I'd check it. I had a 1200 that had it's head gaskets changed by a Honda dealer. It came back running like hell.

In the end I gave up, checked things myself and, yes, one belt was out by a cog.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Grahame.... ! it goes to show how some shops and or mechanics are so sloppy, that a bike can be repaired and be released to the customer running like you describe.
i dont know how they can get repeat repair buisness?...not to mention the nuts and bolts you cant see that are not re-tightened up only to cause the next problem..

Chris with all due respect!! you should not have any problem returning it to them to correct the problem....if they want to charge you more and say it will be 2 weeks etc. then id say there is a problem!!...they should schedule you in right away and no charge!!!!.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.