Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I've checked around the forums, but I have not seen this mentioned anywhere. I'm 6'2" and 220#. I've run the shocks from 10psi to 40 psi, and the only thing I've seen different is I scrape the pegs at 10 psi. ( I keep the front forks @ 5 psi - standard rate springs)

Looking in the manual, it doesn't give any pressure suggestions. What is a good pressure setting for me to use in the shocks ?

I'm not what I would call an "aggressive" rider, but I do live with a lot of curvy roads. I've added the fork brace, but the shocks I'm still trying to find out what is best.

Since I've had my 96' Aspencade less than a year, I figured I'd ask some "seasoned" riders their thoughts.

Scott

PS - I will NEVER ask which tire is best ! ;)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you have the stock single air shock I think I've read 57 lbs max.
Stock front springs-6 lbs max.

Progressive air shocks max at 100 lbs.
No air w/Progressive springs in front.

190 lbs 1 up- I run 55-70lbs in the progressive rear.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

It all comes down to experimenting. I'm no more then 160lbs,, and I keep mine in the 40-47 lb range.

Try riding at one setting for a day (40),,,,, then bump it up another day (45).

I don't think I have gone far on 35lbs without bumping it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

i run 20-25 psi with the single progressive 450 spring shock set to the 3rd position

anyone else running this shock?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Got one coming, should be here in the next few days. Look forward to see how the difference is.
Toy4rick runs one too, as well as his brother.

That Yami has a single front fork arm! What year is it? I remember seeing them in @ 1992-93 in Tampa. What do you think of it?

Just found this on it, cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GTS1000

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the world's greatest website.

I am a little heavier and I was running 35 in the rear (front not so equipped) and I never was concerned. Only occasionally a light passenger. I changed to the Austone rear tire which is a little bigger OD so Ibumped the shock to 50. I've since dropped down to 45 and didn't really notice much difference. between those two. I also changed the front to a Battle-Axe Rear and added Progressive springs to the front all at the same time so overall it feels different.

I'd agree that it's best to play with it to find what you like. Ride for several days at one setting before changing. Don't expect huge swings.

Also, keep tires in the 40 to 42 PSI range (higher than manual says).

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Got one coming, should be here in the next few days. Look forward to see how the difference is.
Toy4rick runs one too, as well as his brother.

That Yami has a single front fork arm! What year is it? I remember seeing them in @ 1992-93 in Tampa. What do you think of it?

Just found this on it, cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GTS1000
thats my other bike! it has the hub-centered steering, ABS brakes, fuel injection, and catalytic converter.
bought it new in 1993. absolutely the BEST bike ive owned....even better than the mighty wing. i have over 100k miles on it and it rides and handles just like new.

it has a more comfortable ride than even the goldwing.

whenever i ride it people wonder what is it.

due to the high price (13k) back in 1993, yamaha only sold 3500 of them worldwide and 800 of them were sold in the us.

i belive its a cult bike now.

i have two of them, one for parts.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The one I saw back then was in getting a service by a friend who I knew from the NH shop I was parts manager and he was head wrench and track road racer who had gone to FL and was wrenching at Yami.
I thought it was strange looking and wondered about the front end. He said they were the wave of the future. Over priced was right. Did you buy it new?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

Does anyone have the both Progressive Air shocks or is there a way to run one and the regular shock?

Not trying to hijack the thread ... just trying to figure it out since the air shock is gone on my bike.

Thanks,

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I'm doing that currently, took off the second Progressive and put the stock coil over shock back on for my cross country trip. Did good. But found a used progressivs coil over and should have that in next few days. I have the second air shock(progressive) that I will be selling if you are interested send a PM.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
The one I saw back then was in getting a service by a friend who I knew from the NH shop I was parts manager and he was head wrench and track road racer who had gone to FL and was wrenching at Yami.
I thought it was strange looking and wondered about the front end. He said they were the wave of the future. Over priced was right. Did you buy it new?
i bought it new, but i got more for my trade in on the yamaha than i paid for it. i ended up paying half the cost of 13k out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Somewhere on here there is a description of how to air up your shocks but it goes something like this.

Run the air up to max, get a friend to put a tape measure from the bottom of the saddlebag to the ground. Sit on the bike with the kickstands upStart letting the air out when the bike starts

to move downward mark that number that is a single rider. Then do it again with your co-rider if you have one. Then with all your travel stuff on the bike. Make up a little list with these numbers on it and you will know how much pressure to run.

This is for the back and as was mentioned her earlier if you have progressives in the front the setting is for no air. if you don't have progressives add air sparingly and ride the bike and see what you like. Honda rear shocks have a Max air of 60psi Progressives rear shocks have a Max of 100psi. Hope this helps....

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

I run the 416's (dual air shocks). I run about 35 psi in them. that works well for me at my weight of 175 lbs, and I can carry my passengers and not have to adjust too much. I have the interstate model, so an adjustment is manual, not automatic like the others have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.