Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 91 interstate with floor boards. when I push the rear break pedal it will go all the way down and dosnt fell like it is engaging enough. ajusting the pedal height is not an option is there a way to ajust the break for more stopping power

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

First, be sure that there is no air or leaks in the system and the master is working properly.

If your pedal is hitting the board mounts then you have the same probelm that others have had, including myself. All Wings from 83 have linked brakes, and I hate them, but there are two reasons its there for safety: one is for those that don't like to use the front at all (not me), and if your front master fails you still have one front brake. It is important that you have full travel on the pedal because the pedal has most of your braking force.

The issue on my bike was fixed with adjusting the pedal arm up slightly and removing some of the metal on the bottom of pedal. Now it still feels correct with the heelpad (do you have one?), and will not hit the board mount under heavy/panic braking. I don't think there is a way to run floorboards without having to lift your foot to get to the brake pedal. Your other option is to install the stock footpegs.

Bill

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Check your front and rear brake pads. Also a good brake fluid flush will help. When brake fluid gets old and starts turning brown the brakes will feel week.

Rubber brake lines will start swelling under presure when they get old also.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the tips I do have a heal pad and not sure I like the floorboards yet. pickin up my feet to shift and brake was hard to get use to. I didnt know the brakes were linked since my last bike was a mid 70s honda 750 that I owned in the early 80s this gives me a good place to start. by the way the bike has 36000. miles on it what is the life span of pads

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

came across this old post and thought I'd give an update. last year I flushed the brakes and went over everything to be sure they were workin ok. then I solved the travel problem by adding some spacers under the chrome riser attached to the brake lever. I still wasn't completely happy with this. Halfway thru the summer i bought a set of kurykakn pegs and ditched the floorboards. I'll never go back to floor boards again not only is the braking improved but the bike just feels better.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
I agree 100% with you on loosing the floorboards. I too took off the boards after a few months from getting the 99 SE and also put on the Kury pegs.
I see you asked on pad life, if the system is kept flushed yearly after you pulled apart? and cleaned the calipers and master cylinders of all the gunk that build up in the seal grooves, clean the pistons before pushing back in caliper each time and clean the return port of the masters with a wire brush wire or small welding tip cleaner so the caliper pistons work freely and the slider pins are cleaned and greased yearly with copper brake grease, the life of the pads can get 15,000-30,000 miles depending on your riding style, aggressive riding and hard braking will shorten the life span some. Also check the wear of the rotors to be sure they are within the minimum thickness as that will effect the pedal travel some.
Thanks for updating the post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.