Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Has anyone seen or done a DIY article on converting a car alternator to work on the GL1500? I know that Compu-Fire has a kit, but it's kinda pricey & was wondering if anyone had converted (i.e. via machining an adapter, or whatever) the 1500 to use a GM one-wire or similar?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I have never heard(read) about such thing for a 1500, you probably got it wrong the GM Alternator mod is for the 1200. but anyway, i could be wrong so the experts will tell. i just been around here for along time and never read about it for a 1500.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

The 1500 has never had the bad press that the 1200 has over charging systems. I don't think a poorboy conversion would fit under the plastics of a 1500 and the cost would be more than acompufire.

Where the poorboy shows its colours is in the savings of not needing to pull the engine plus more power. If the stator could be changed without the pulling the motor the poorboy probably wouldn't exist.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I've not seen the "work" for the comufire...

... but ...

I seem to rememeber discussing this at length some time ago - where a large portion of the guts from a Saturn's alternator could be used to fab-up a higher output solution for the 1500 -- seems like the front housing would need to be reused and the drive & a front bearing fitted to the Saturn rotor with careful attention to overall length ... Strictly "over a pint" discussion, of course. ;)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Yes, that's sort of what I'm thinking about. If you have an alternator that will physically fit where the stock one does, then I would think it would be possible to machine some kind of drive and mounting bracket for it.

I suppose I'm a bit weary of so many of the accessories/upgrades costing a significant percentage of my original purchase price, and I'd be willing to try a conversion myself if I had something to go by.

Perhaps this winter, this might be an interesting project.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

you already have an alternator on the thing. i'm sure most rebuild shops can beef up the stock alternator quite a bit.:shock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.