Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All...

I have a '97 Wing 1500 and need an alternator. Can anyone please advise a place to get a good one at the cheapest price? I am unemployed so can't just go to a honda shop and pay their huge markup...

Thanks.... Carolyn if you'd please respond to me directly at horse @ 310enterprises dot com, that would be great....

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Hello, All...

I have a '97 Wing 1500 and need an alternator. Can anyone please advise a place to get a good one at the cheapest price? I am unemployed so can't just go to a honda shop and pay their huge markup...

Thanks.... Carolyn if you'd please respond to me directly at horse @ 310enterprises dot com, that would be great....
First determine if it needs to be replaced or just a good cleaning, sometime the brushes stick.
As for a good inexpensive alternator, check ebay, Powermax sales a new 85 amps alternator for around 180.00.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Check with Ken Hemmings, he re-builds them for a very reasonable cost and his service is excellent.
Yeah, I've got one of his on mine and very satisfied with it.

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it? If not do that and replace the brushes while your in there if that is the issue...That will be the cheapest fix for ya

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning it? If not do that and replace the brushes while your in there if that is the issue...That will be the cheapest fix for ya
2nd cheepest choice would be to find a local automotive alternator shop to have yours checked & rebuilt. FYI the wing's alternator is an automotive unit adapted to use in the wing....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I agree with the others... Take it apart and look at it first - could be sticking or warn brushes... I just did one for a buddy this weekend onnhis 2000 Wing and it was just that - worn and sticking brushes... 7 bucks for a set of brushes and another 14 bucks for new dampers - a few bucks shipping on the parts and for 30 bucks, my buddy was back on the road and good for another 30-40K miles before brushes will have to be touched again...

Les

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Hi
I have a rebuilt unit from Ken Hemmings. You are much better off getting a quality rebuilt unit from Ken than a cheap piece of junk off Ebay.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I bought brushes/bearings/rubbers/o-rings on line and took it to a local alternator shop for a freshening. About an hours labor is what I was charged.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More alternator info....

Hello, All...
Thanks for responding. I guess I didn't put enough info in...

The original alternator had brush problems....worn quite a bit. When we figured this out, then the radio going stupid oftentimes made sense. The bike left me sitting one day..the brushes stuck and things didn't operate well...resulting in no charging going on. Replaced battery to get bike off the road and to a dealer...and that kid did the brushes. So far, so good. About 3 mos ago, bike left me sitting again. While at someone's home, they knew how to test stuff and there was no charge going on. So I sent away for an alternator off ebay....Needed it quick and cheap....so $180 on one made in China and 3 days later....it was here and it got put in. Have had a major rattle for awhile so eliminating things as I went, I could FEEL major rattle on the lower front engine....timing belts. My file showed no evidence of belts ever being changed...so with the help of a friend and a few dollars later...belts are on. But still a rattle! Started pulling covers while it ran and it was easy to tell that the alternator was making the noise. Contacted the guy who sold it to me and he says we don't have rubber bushings on the bolts. We put the new one in exactly the same as the old one was and used whatever parts came off the bike/original alternator. the old one never rattled and we had no parts left/bolts...anything...so I can't imagine it's bushings.?

Don't deal with the guy on ebay....eap-wholesale ... DiscountStarterAndAlternator.com .....
His parts are obtained from China and are cheap.... He only pretty much does anything nice before 30 days. After that, it is YOUR responsibility to pay for sending the junk part back...he won't send a paid label to get it.....even 60 days out. I am very disappointed with this place...it took $180 less than 3 mos ago that I didn't have to spend then, either....and now I'm stuck with his crap and have to start over.... :/

Sorry....I am just upset and stressed over this. I thought it was the timing belts rattling...you could hear and feel those from the outside of the housing too. Got that done with the help of a friend and the rattle was STILL there....and it is the 'new' alternator from Greg at the above-mentioned store. The timing belts were stretched so it's well that they were changed anyway....but this alternator business from him is really bothering me... :( I will NEVER buy anything from him again. What good is a 30 day return policy when the piece might wait 31-70 days before it takes a dump?? :/

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Agreed. The ebay alternators are throw away junk. Yes you might get one that last a little longer but most are a Russian Reulet game. Far too many have bought all kinds of junk from ebay sellers only to get ripped off and no standing behind the product they sell. It is buyer be ware!

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Yes you do run into some bad vendors out there. A good cross-section of people on this site have bought from the vendors you will be dealing with, just ask here before you buy.

About your rattle. Sound from ANY vehicle has a way of telegraphing and sometimes confuses the listener as to origin.

Did you replace the four black rubber dampers on the alternator ? These have a tendency to harden over time and make noise.

I did the brushes and dampers on mu 97' last year and still charging strong after two summers of riding.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I'll relay to you what I learned during my alternator woes. The Hitatchi units were Japanese at one time, and fairly reliable. Then, with Honda's never ending wisdom, they contracted China to build em cheaper. The Chinese units are junk. The windings are crimped instead of soldered, and these crimps get loose, and arc. This arcing eventually damages the regulating diodes, and your voltages are all over the place. This will eventually ruin your battery. I sent mine to Mr. Hemmings, and he COMPLETELY re-builds them. Tears em down, and media blasts the cases clean as a pin, new heavier wire windings, all soldered joints, new diodes, new front and back bearings, new brushes and holder, and a new O-ring seal. This cost about $200.00, and I got it back in 7 days. Upon installation and testing the new unit, it was working better than stock, as far as output at 2,000 RPMs. My original could barely put out 42 amps @ 2,000 RPMs, and the new one was doing 50 amps @ 1,500 RPMs. The headlights stayed bright at idle, and I have not had a lick of trouble with the Hemmings unit. The $200. included shipping, as well. Personally, I would send him your unit, and be done with it. As far as the rattle being caused by the alternator, I would suspect something else, unless the rubber drive dampeners are hard as a rock, and some are. I have an old set, and they are not bad, and you can have them if you want to try them and see if the noise changes.? Lemme know, and I'll send them to ya. I know it's hard to repair stuff when the $$ isn't there, so I thought I'd offer these, if for nothing else but a test. Hoping you get her up and running without much trouble, Jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stu..

I learned the hard way and agree with all you say. I was in a spot and had to get on the stick quick....as I was stuck away from home and in could no way afford to have someone pick the bike up and haul it home....even if only to put it away not fixed.

This Greg from the alternator place won't refund my money...he will only exchange one piece of junk for another piece,...and wants me to pay to do it on top of it...talk about adding insult to injury....omg.

I offered him the chance again to make it right, given all the circumstances of the deal...and told him my advertising for him would be based solely upon how he handled this bad deal. I want a refund, no replacement from him, but I can pretty much guess he will refuse that, regardless of how bad his crap is.... :/

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Hello, All...

Started pulling covers while it ran and it was easy to tell that the alternator was making the noise. Contacted the guy who sold it to me and he says we don't have rubber bushings on the bolts. We put the new one in exactly the same as the old one was and used whatever parts came off the bike/original alternator. the old one never rattled and we had no parts left/bolts...anything...so I can't imagine it's bushings.?

:/

Sorry I missed this statement in the middle of your last post.

There are no rubber bushings on the alternator bolts. That guy is full of $hit !
Even if it is a cheap alternator, I can't see the bearings making the noise.

Take jimsjinx up on his offer and see if that works for your rattle.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rubber pieces....

As an afterthought.... one of those rubber things fell out when we were installing the cheap china piece....so of course it had to be put back in. I do remember it was nice and pliable, for lack of better terminology. We didn't take the others out and look them over, but I would assume they'd all be in about the same condition, given they are probably all the same age?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
OK, I understand better now... If your looking for a good reliable alternator at a decent price, I recommend Ken Hemmings who is a member of this forum... I have bought from him as have other forum members here... Here is the link to his website...

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

Les

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
There are allot of complaints about Discount Starter and Alternator. com for the exact reason you stated. I bought my alternator from an company in Harbor City, CA called R & Z alternator, that was about 6 months ago and haven't had any problems with it. It's a 85 amp alternator. They offer a 1 year direct replacement warrenty all you have to do is pay the shipping.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alternator stuff....

Hello, all....
Thanks so much to the persons who contacted me about my alternator issues....it was ALL most appreciated.

Although I don't have anything in hand yet, I hope to soon and depending upon the weather when my friend can help me again, it may be in a week or two that the alternator gets fixed....or next spring....but either way, at least something is in motion.

And FYI....that discount alternator place I mentioned in a previous post? Don't EVER deal with them. They don't care, take your money and leave you sitting.

I sure hope he is proud of the way he runs his business and taking advantage of people like me.... !!

YHWH Bless you all....
Carolyn

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Does the new alternator work but still rattle like the old one?
If so your drive cushions although you say they're pliable are likely worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
For cheap alternators I have had the best luck with the early 1500 alternators. The ones that actually say "Made in Japan" on the I.D. sticker. I have gotten a couple of them on eBay for around $50.00. Kind of getting hard to find now anymore though. The alternator I am using now probably has close to 200K on it, and still works great. One of Kens rewound alternators lasted 40K befoore the windings shorted out. I would probably go Compufiire now if I had to have a new one.
Gumbyred

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.