Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

RHS - under the engine cover.

You may want to post to the tech forum if this goes further.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
RHS - under the engine cover.

You may want to post to the tech forum if this goes further.
Whoops - that'll teach me for posting without the bike, or a manual in front of me.

Did it from memory and - drat.

:lash:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good Memory, Just Short!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,708 Posts
imported post

The right side cover Rusty, is o'er the battery and is the one that we all loose if not careful. :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks guys I looked there and see it, am showing on the meter that I'm only putting out 12.5 volts. is this a rebuildable option.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it is. How many miles on it?
You should put that on your profile in your account. It helps sometimes in diagnosing.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks, just changed profile to add mileage. Am learning what to include by which the bike has 87,227 miles also does it need to be taken to a motorcycle shop or has anyone had experience with an alternator repair shop doing the rebuilding.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
An alternator shop can do it. Just pull it out and take it to them.
Here is some reading on the alternators

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/search.php?s=1&q=gl1500+alternator+remove
Also... considering the mileage of that bike and the money and the time invested fixing that alternator... I'd replace the dampeners too while in there.

The rubber gets hard and the faces sometimes wear... it gives the alternator a warbling/groaning sound... especially on start up.

Get em here: http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/29165

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Sounds good guys I will order the dampeners for it to replace as well, I really appreciate all the info.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

When you measured that 12.5 volts was that at idle? or say 2500-3000rpm?

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

Be certain to disconnect he battery BEFORE you try to remove the alternator..You will be risking popping the main fuse ..

....or letting smoke get outof the wires ...and it is really hard to put the smoke back in once it gets out....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Well I have called around and seems the shops are unable to rebuild it, but while looking around the site I noticed some were talking about changing the brushes. Could that be the cause for the lack of charging and can I get the brushes and do them myself, I have mechanical abilities and would be happy to try this myself which I enjoy taking care of it myself whenever possible.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Read the threads above on doing it and decide yourself if you can or not.
You can buy them at a stealer or on line

http://www.hdlparts.com/

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Goldwings use a weird alternator system that only puts out about 12.5 v at idle and only reaches full potential above 2000 rpm. You can actually run the battery down if you use a lot of lights and ride around long enough at slow engine speeds! If yours reaches about 13.5 - 14 v at higher speeds, it is just acting normal.

I had my alternator rebuilt at a shop that rebuilds alternators and starters for all types of cars, light trucks and heavy trucks. It didn't bother them that it was for a motorcycle.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

If you are seriously concerened about your alt you can buy a rebuilt HighOutput alternator from Ken Hemings at ...

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

Or he can rebuild you existing one too...:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.