Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What is the "small black box" for on the rear of a Honda GL1500 Alternator?... is it a Noise Filter for the CB?

Reason I ask is that after having my Honda alternator fail recently, I ended up getting a used Compufire.... This new unit does not have provision for mounting that filter(?), so I left it off and do not notice any difference so far.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

It's a capacitor for noise filtering.

The Compufire has an integrated noise filter, so adding the external OEM unit would be redndant.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

satan wrote:
It's a capacitor for noise filtering.

The Compufire has an integrated noise filter, so adding the external OEM unit would be redndant.
> If ever I had to use a Honda Alternator again, would there be any harm to not using that filter?

(eg I always carry a spare Honda unit... might need it if the compufire fails)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't be any harm -- the filter just reduces the high-freq whine that the alternator' output would normally put into the electrical system.

You'll "hear" noise in the intercom and likely the two AM receivers (CB and AM portion of the radio) and you may hear the whine as background noise on the FM & Cassette as well (though the radio does have pretty good power filtering, the radiated noise will still be there). The LCD should urvive without issue.

That filter is just a couple of 50mFd capacitors, and as such, they don't protect against voltage spikes or much more than the whine from the rectifier/regulator... You mzy be a radio noise-source, but you'll live to get the other alternator back on line.

;)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Alex
Compufire makes a great alternator. My friend put a new one in @ 10k as the 1st owner loaded the bike with almost every accessory he could find. I had them replace the seal behind the drive flange as that was leaking. That was just before leaving on my trip @74k. Some may have a problem, but for the most part they hold up for a long time. They aren't far from you if it needs something fixed on it.
I'm presently testing out a new one for them. They're changing the electronics in them. So far it has stayed in the 13.6-14.1 volts except at startup was goes to 14.5v. Been through 110 degrees down to 46 deg and just over 3,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Alex
Compufire makes a great alternator. My friend put a new one in @ 10k as the 1st owner loaded the bike with almost every accessory he could find. I had them replace the seal behind the drive flange as that was leaking. That was just before leaving on my trip @74k. Some may have a problem, but for the most part they hold up for a long time. They aren't far from you if it needs something fixed on it.
I'm presently testing out a new one for them. They're changing the electronics in them. So far it has stayed in the 13.6-14.1 volts except at startup was goes to 14.5v. Been through 110 degrees down to 46 deg and just over 3,000 miles.
i just got compufire to swap out an alternator for me about a week ago, with a new unit. what are the changes being made to them?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I thought that tin can mounted on top of the alternator was the filter. Mine fell off years ago, and never noticed any extra noise.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E

121,000 miles. (Whats a Compufire?)

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

gumbyred wrote:
I thought that tin can mounted on top of the alternator was the filter. Mine fell off years ago, and never noticed any extra noise.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E

121,000 miles. (Whats a Compufire?)
its a high output alternator that replaces the stock one on the 1500s

stock=55amps....546watts charging, 13-14v @ 2-3000rpms

compufire=100amps....1350 watts charging, 14v-14.5v, just off idle

more than enough power for 2 heated liners, lots of aftermarket lights, fog lights, power amps, the toaster oven, and crock pot:applause:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

As to the changes in Compufire, they have changed suppliers on the electronics only.
I have noticed that it doesn't stay maxed at 14.3-14.5v but is lower @ 13.7-14.1v once run for a few miles. Might be easier on batteries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.