Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning to everyone.
I have recently installed a compu-fire alternator to my 1988 gl1500,
after installing the unit I have notice a whining noise coming through the intercom unit and also the radio.

The informnation on the web, is that the unit has a filter to pervent this from happening.

Is there any thing I can do to stop this. I have checked all the connections and they are tight and clean, the antennia is tight and clean also with no breakage, that I can see.

any help will be appreciated:praying:
thanks

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
The Compufire is a tad noisier than the OEM alternator, even with the filter. Some owners fit additional filters.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The Compufire does not require a cb-filter (unlike the Honda alternator, which does)... I don't even know if you could add one.

Both my comp's do not have a filter, and it made No-difference (so far as radio interferance goes) when they were installed (with no filter).

Are you sure the noise is coming through the headsets???... A very common source of whirring-noise is from re-use of the rubber dampners, that connect the alternator to the engine... perhaps yours are worn out?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
On the GL1500's the CB noise filter was added to the alternator, it was mounted on the side of the alternator. This was the ONLY noise filter for the CB, without this filter you will get alternator whine. Check your wiring and make sure the connections are tight, if they are loose this will also cause a whine. I don't think the Compufire alternators have the ability to mount a filter cap to the alternator, you may have to go with an aftermarket filter kit attached to the 12 volt feed wire to the CB.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
A whinning coming from the Alterator itself.

Is it normal for a new alternator to make a turbo type sound or whinning sound. I just installed it on my 88 GL1500. It is really putting out the volts even a low rpm's. I'm just concerned about the sound. Thank you.:)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is it normal for a new alternator to make a turbo type sound or whinning sound. I just installed it on my 88 GL1500. It is really putting out the volts even a low rpm's. I'm just concerned about the sound. Thank you.:)
Charlie
What alternator did you get? Compufire or? This post is on Compufire alternator noise in the sound system.

Your post doesn't state where your noise is at.

Did you replace the rubber dampners with new ones? The old get hard and cause noise and vibrations to come out from the alternator.
Is the noise in the sound system or just from the alternator itself?

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
If your still having the noise problem, the AC whine in your I-com and radio, you can try to use a 1000uF @ 25V or greater electrolytic capacitor to filter this out. Just install the + lead of the capacitor onto the out put of the alternator, and the ground lead to the housing of the alternator, that should reduce the AC noise. Make sure you insulate the + lead so it will not short out on anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Guys. I started to have an alternator whine in the headsets after my rear brake switch went. I installed a new switch but the whine is still there even when listening to the tape. The radio oin the other hand is so soft I cannot listen to it while riding. While riding in the US the radio was not so soft. My wing is now touring the roads in Namibia and South AFrica. I read about the capacitors and would give it a go. I am not so sure about the installation part. I have done a couple of mechanical reapairs oj the bike, but are not so sure about the electrical stuff. Is there any place I can perhaps get detailed instructions or is it just a matter of removing the old one and installing a new capacitor. Thanks for the forum.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
Just make sure that the hot lead of the capacitor does not short to ground.
The ground lead of the capacitor can be placed on any ground screw, but it is best to the alternator frame. Reason being, the shortest bypass route is best to get rid of the noise.

An alternative is to place the bypass capacitor on the power lead closest to the circuit that is exhibiting the noise. ie, the input power lead to the radio, or the intercom amplifier. In some cases this actually results in better noise filtering for that piece of equipment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.