Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am adding a Gerbing Heated Jacket. Draws about 45 watts. According to the manual. alternator output is 550 watts @ 5000 rpm. I don't think I have hit 5k!

What is the output at the more reasonable 2500-3000 rpm.

And does anyone have any experience with heated clothing?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The 45W figure is at full output, so that coudl actually be thought of as a bit "high"...

Many people will add 2 driving lights (at 55-Watts each) and experience little trouble.

With the addition of your jacket to a nominal OEM charging system, you really shouldn't have much issue above about 1500 RPM. At idle, for prolonged periods, your alternator may not be able to keep up, but even then, your battery should last more than long enough to get you back riding again.

Running your jacket relay-switched from the batter is popular, and if you worry, it may be a good time to add a volt-meter as well

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

That's good to know. Driving lights came on the bike and I don't use them a lot. But I LOVE the high beam! Better than one of my cars...
And I do have a voltmeter I plan to add in the near future or during the winter break. Gerbing has a "cigarette lighter" plug in. May do the battery thing first as I have all that.

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If you have a good jacket over your electric liner you shouldn`t have to turn the thermostat up very high to begin with. Does your electric jacket have a reostat? I just bought a good leather jacket this weekend, and with a sweatshirt it is warm enough to use without a electric jacket liner. Just went out for a ride tonight in 40 degree weather, and was comfortable without the electric liner.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Unless your riding in extremeartic weather you will never turn your heat controller up high enough to draw that much. I have the Gerbingjacket and gloves. Irarely have it over a 1/4 way up on the heater control. It gets very hot when you turn it up all the way.

I have a compufire alt and run my running lights, Ipod, GPS, extra trunk/saddlebaglights and Gerbing gear with no problems. If I'm not wearing the Gerbing gloves when it's cold the electric grips are on.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

be aware that the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves draw approx 9amps total,and when they are used with a controller they still draw 9amps but they they pulse depending on the setting of the controller,found this out the hard way when i was running my driving lights and heated jacket/gloves and thinking i was within a safe range on 86 SEI,was drawing 21-28 amps which eventually fried the 30 amp fuse within about 15 miles didn't blow the fuse but overheated the fuse and melted it,voltmeter never dropped below 14.3 when this happened

·
751 Posts
imported post

Blketts If your really concerned about your alt Take it off your bike & Take it to a place that rebuilds alts & Starters & See if they can redo the windings to upgrade the output from the stock 40 amp When My alt went out I got a comp-u-fire Battery/alt combo that was back in 05 & I had no problems untill my starter relay was sticking & I had to replace my Battery ! Anyway Missy & I have gerbing heated clothes I have pants /jacket Liner/gloves/socks & Missy has gloves/jacket liner & With both of us using our gerbings & My hid Driving lights I have no problem at all as a matter of fact with all on Im still at 13.9 volts while stopped Im down to 13.6 lowest !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.