Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past summer I noticed my voltage dropping when I started up. It would be anywhere from 12.1 to 13.3 for about 30 minutes of driving then slowly climb to 13.7 to 13.8. It happened for about a month. I assumed alternator so I bought a HO alt. off of Ebay. This new HO alt only runs about 13.4 to 13.8 . I CONTACTED THEM AND THEY SAID THAT WAS NORMAL. Since then, several times my meter has told me I have a dead battery( which is a new Odyessey gsm). On one trip I had to go to Wmart and buy a new battery to get home on. I have had the battery checked at 3 different places and it checked good every time. On top of this, I have had to recharge my battery several times. :X
Do you think it might be the new alternator?????:confused:
Or is there a regulator that I need to check? :confused:
I think I need to get my old alternator rebuilt, I have rides coming up!:grin:
HELP....:(

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I presume you are referring to the 1500 alternator.

The regulator is internal in the alternator.

What are you using for a voltmeter? What HO alternator are you using?

Try hooking up a multimeter to the battery and ride with it to check your mounted(?) Voltmeter.

Post back you results.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
If your alternator is running at 13+ volts it should be charging your battery, if the voltage drop below the 12.4V of the battery then I'd be checking the alternator because this means your alternator is unable to keep up with the current draw of the bikes operating voltage.
Also check your connections, make sure the are tight and clean, the white wire that runs from the alternator to the dog bone fuse.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If you are having the issues you describe after the bike has been sitting for a while (like over night etc.) then you probably have an issue with draw. Something is staying on or shorted and causing the abttery to go dead in time. If an alternator is failing it will usually cause the bike to stop running while you are going down the road. I don't think you said anything about that. I would post back with more detailed info and others will help as well.

You said "This past summer I noticed my voltage dropping when I started up. It would be anywhere from 12.1 to 13.3 for about 30 minutes of driving then slowly climb to 13.7 to 13.8. " The 12.1 is an indication of a low charged battery. Like it was discharging while it was sitting. The fact that the voltage went up in time would indicate the alternator is working. That makes me think even more it's some draw on the battery when it is sitting.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,357 Posts
I would disconnect the negative battery cable and connect a multimeter, set on a high scale for amps, in series with it and the battery. Connect the - lead to the battery post and the + lead to the cable you removed. If you don't get a reading then go to a lower scale until you do. It should be 5 milliamps or less. If it is more then you have a problem that needs to be found. Start removing fuses and if you find one that reduces the current flow, then that circuit has too much drain on it.

Be sure the switch is turned off and that there is no other accessories turned on to pull current while you are testing.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I don`t think there was anything wrong wiith the O.E.M. alternator that a little maintenence wouldn`t have fixed. Sounds like sticking bruses. I would have it checked over, and use the eBay alternator as your spare.
gumbyred

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.