Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have noticed Alternator problems lately with my bike.

1. The battery was not being fully charged in fact I have had to put it on the Charger at least once a week.

2. I broke down and bought the Brushes and the Dampening pads just in case.

3. I have read all the threads here about alternator problems.

4. So I broke down and pulled out my Honda Service Manual yesterday and removed my alternator and put it on top of some towels in my Dinning room and dissasembled it.

5. One of the brushes was not making good contact with the Stator so I tried to move it and it was stuck in the holder.

6. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and it started to move and then shot out of the holder the wire behind it was frayed and as far as I can tell was broken inside the socket so it was only making intermittant contact.

7. I replaced both brushes everything seems to be working better but I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem.

8. Oh by the way the Dampening pads had the consistance of concrete I am glad I had purchased them when I bought the brushes and I agree with others if you remove the Alternator you should check them and probabily replace them if they don't feel like rubber anymore.

 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

There are posts on the brushes sticking. Common the the stock alternators. Like the starters, the alternators need maintenance to function to capacity.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It wasn't so much the brushes sticking as the wire behind them was badly frayed and broken on one of the brushes.

The other was just badly frayed. Of course these brushes could be the original ones from the factory and I could have a Friday Alternator you know how that goes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Oh and at 84,000 miles the brushes were only worn about 1/4 of their length compared to the new ones.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
imported post

A voltmeter helps a lot to keep tabs on how the altertnator is doing.
gumbyred
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

Its Man Made.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tell you what I saw a trick out someplace at first you remove the front cover.

Then remove the back cover from the stator.

Do whatever maintenance you are doing then put the stator back over the shaft or front cover.



This allows you to reach the brushes during reassembly.

This also makes it easy to get the brushes positioned correctly.

Now put the back cover on and use the three long screws to slowly get the bearing back in place.



Then put the 5 littlenuts on the back tighten everything down and you are ready to put it back in the Wing.

 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top